Nasty butt, nasty poop, and straining to lay ...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AphroAt, Oct 25, 2014.

1. AphroAt

AphroAt New Egg

Apr 27, 2014
    One of my birds went through her molt in late summer. She started laying again a couple of weeks ago and now she's...not good.

Symptoms:
    * Straining to pass the egg, with a red, swollen protruding vent; the two times I've been able to observe this chicken in the nest box I can see one side of her vent literally bubbling out as she strains to pass the egg, and the tissue is brilliant red
    * Each egg is covered with gloppy clear liquid (not eggwhite) and there are some urites stuck to the shell as well.
    * The bird continues to leak from the vent for some time after she drops the egg. She doesn't leak constantly
    * Occasionally she squats and blasts out some really nasty thin greenish-brown poop. The other chickens are all putting out nice tight urite-capped poops, color varies somewhat depending on what they've had to eat lately

Diet: Kitchen scraps - fruit/veg only, no meat or greasy scraps; bugs, no-soy/no-GMO layer ration, yogurt twice a week

I don't think this is vent gleet, but I've never seen it in person so I could be wrong. I'm wondering if the red swellling I have observed while the hen is trying to lay could be vent prolapse, or possibly an abcess in the vent?

The hen is active and out there making a living (ie, working for bugs) when I observe from the window. She's the first one to the feed tray, and I see her regularly at the watering station.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you are dealing with a prolapse, and it seems she may have some damage from either the size of her eggs or perhaps having become egg bound in the past. I discovered two sister chickens with prolapses recently that come and go with having a loose vent. The treatment for a prolapse is to rub honey or Preparation H ointment inside and outside the vent, and gently push the pink tissue back inside then hold it there for 10 minutes. Stop her from laying for a week or two by placing her in a dark room, or by covering her cage. Reducing the amount of protein in her diet would also help with that, to give it time to heal. Each day, I would keep her vent clean, even giving her vent area an epsom salt warm soak, then re-applying the honey or Prep H. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

3. AphroAt

AphroAt New Egg

Apr 27, 2014
    Well, go figure. I caught the same chicken on the nest box this morning, she popped that egg out in a very businesslike no-muss, no-fuss fashion. No straining, no messy leaking, no weird red produding membranes. The egg was just a bit wetter than I expect a dropped-this-instant egg to be but lacked the stuck-on urites I've seen on the last few eggs she's dropped. Maybe she just needed to get back in the swing of laying regularly after her molt, and maybe I panicked too soon :D

I am dosing all the birds with metronidazol for 7 days starting today, since this same chicken did promptly hop off the box and blast out more nasty diarrhea, and I'm upping their yogurt to 4x weekly for a while. I have a lab tech friend who can do a microscope check of some poop if the anti-microbial doesn't offer any improvement

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by