1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nasty butt

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lisa Wood, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Lisa Wood

Lisa Wood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    So this am I suddenly notice one of my Cream Legbar pullets has no tail feathers compared to another Legbar. Upon exam vent still open but has just been collecting poo over and over into an impressive ball of poo. So I cut and gave warm bath till she was
    All cleaned up
    I elected not to use any ointment for chance that she gets her butt nasty again. Her skin is pink /white with naked spot. I watched several minutes to see if other chicks where going to Harass or peck her, and she was fine.
    Will the others be attracted to white butt?
    Will she start to grow tail now? Lisa

Lisa

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They shouldn't peck her but keep an eye on it. How old is she? Unless feathers have been completely pulled out they won't be replaced until the fall molt. You will need to figure out how she lost her tail feathers, do you have a rooster? Or are the other hens pulling them out?

3. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina

Thanks so much for answering. The flock is 7 weeks, 9 pullets, one male. I think she lost the tail feathers, or they never grew, is actually what I thought, because there was this huge mass of poop where the tail feathers come in., I spend hours with them, and have never seen any tail pulling. The poop was so thick that I had to cutl then put under faucet.

LISA

4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I would grab a bottle of Blu-kote from tractor supply and spray it on there (it's good to have a bottle of this laying around for other emergencies as well). If they do take an interest in pecking her there the blu-kote will help. Make sure you wear disposable gloves and be careful spraying it...it will turn you blue as well.

Not sure what you're feeding but you might want to try some plain yogurt and/or some probiotics mixed in the water - might help solidify the poop. Watermelon and other high liquid fruits (especially in the summer) can make some pretty runny poo which can collect over time. I had one hen that chronically built up little/large poo nuggets no matter what I tried. I just cleaned her up once a month with a good bath.

5. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina

I will get probiotics added to list, which has Blukote, hanging feeder to stop so much waste, and probiotics. Everyone else poop looks ok, but then I am brand new, so maybe not?
    Lisa

6. Cacique500

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I wouldn't worry too much and I'm sure she'll be fine. With the horrible heat wave and no rain we've had down here it could be as simple as excessive water intake. I would just keep an eye on her and sounds like you're doing the all the right stuff!

7. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina

Thanks for the support. MY BIGGEST fear was I was gonna get her little butt clean and see nasty infeted meat underneath, so I sure was relieved her skin was pristine white. But they are waisting so much food from their baby feeders, I do need to order some stuff. Any suggestions? My husband wants to make feeders with big buckets and PVC pipe, but he is out of town.
    Do you have any suggestions of where uou like to get chicken stuff?

Lisa

8. Cacique500

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I mainly hit tractor supply or Amazon. For the feeder, I've had *great* luck with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Miller-Galva...8&qid=1467695118&sr=1-1&keywords=miller+12+lb

I have it suspended from a chain so I can raise it as they get older and it worked out really well. I like this type of feeder because I feed crumbles, and after filling it a time or two a lot of crumble dust collects in the bottom and it's easy dump out/clean.

Almost forgot...I also got the cover for the feeder which keeps them from jumping up on it and/or falling in while they're little...

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant...78&sr=1-1&keywords=little+giant+hanging+cover

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  9. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina

I saw the same one on Amazon, my fav place for online shopping. Imma gonna head to TS so I dont have to wait for shippjng.I am getting confused do I keep filling baby feeder with fresh food, or make them eat all the stuff on the ground. And if it gets damp!? They really go for ground food then!?
    Thank you again for all your help!
    Lisa

10. Cacique500

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'd keep filling the baby feeder until you get the big one. If the food is on the ground for a short period of time I wouldn't worry, but if it's getting wet you do want to avoid it getting moldy. You might also try a heavy plastic (dog) bowl for food for short term...something they won't knock over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by