1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nasty Cochins.. Is this typical for this breed ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrszlopez, May 13, 2009.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I got two beautiful white cochins last week & theyre about 7-12weeks old. One roo & one Hen. Both of them love to peck nastily at me everytime i go to do water & food. They are being kept in my spare room right now until i know they are safe to mix in with the flock outside & they seem to be fine when theyre out & about. No attacking or anything. But anytime you put your hand in there or walk past their crate, they go after you. Is this normal for a cochin ? Ive never owned any up until now & not sure if this type of behavior is typical. I just have to hope it is just a stage..

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Mine never do that. They are actually my "good" birds. Very well mannered and calm. They will probably grow out of it.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

No its not typical but it does happen.
    Most are super friendly - I do have a blk roo that is nasty and only gets to stay b/c I like his body type [​IMG]

4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I was looking for this answer too since my cochins are the only pullets that actively attack younger chickens than them. They are only three months old but are quite nasty to everyone but my four eldest hens. I think I may have to remove them from my flock of thirty since they are the only two like that.

5. Mah1Mah1

Mah1Mah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    I have never had Cochins but from what I have heard they are usually very nice chickens, maybe your's are just more grumpy than most? I hope they grow out of it! [​IMG]

6. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    If mine doesn't they'll be going into freezer camp just in time for the summer. I'll give them another month to straighten up. If they don't then off with their heads!

7. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Well, I kept the hens but got rid of the roo. Now I'm worried since I have some chicks hatching this weekend. As nasty as they are to grown birds, I'll have to probably separate these hens when my Mama Silkie decides to take the youngsters out for the day next week. They'd best be on their best behavior since I just might send them to freezer camp if they don't tow the line.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You have them in a crate? That's probably why they're going after you. They're likely feeling too crowded, and that causes behavioral issues.

9. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Mine do the same with a run of 40' by 22' with fewer than 20 chickens so space is not an issue. Mine are just plain nasty. [​IMG]

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Hmm, I know you said they attack younger birds, but they are the only ones who do so... I don't have any answers to that. Chickens to have a tendency to do that - especially if the younger ones are smaller than the older ones. The only cochin I've had was a little bantam hen and she was no problem around the other birds. I still think the OP's birds could be acting up because they're crowded. Yours might be the exception to the rule as far as cochins being a gentler breed. It's easy to generalize about the personalities of certain breeds, but they are living animals, and no breed is ALL one way or another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by