nasty cockerel ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldenchic, Nov 15, 2009.

1. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    will my cockerel peck my grandchildren ?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It depends on his personality. If he is a good protector of his hens and he perceives your grandchildren a threat, like chasing the hens or getting too close or just bothering him too much, he will.

Again, some roosters are just bullies. You will have to watch and see what happens.

3. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    My rule of thumb is if you aren't sure what an animal is going to do, supervise the children and the animal in a very controlled environment. Hold the cockeral to introduce him to the children and let them pet him, but impress upon the kids that they aren't to chase or bother him or any of the hens without you near them.

Or you could lock him up for the duration of their visit if you are positive your other hens are harmless.

4. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Our alpha cockerel (Delaware) at 5 months doesn't bother my husband, but gets a little aggressive with me at times, especially when I am wearing crocs. I don't flinch or back down, and he usually backs off. I would worry about kids around him since I suspect they would run. Our Jersey Giant, however is a perfect gentleman and would be great with kids. I think it depends on the breed and the individual bird.

I will never forget the meat rooster cockerels we had in the 1960s chashing my brother all over the place when he was about 8. It was traumatic for him. I think keeping an eye on him when he's around strangers and new situations (brown croc shoes for example) will tell you a lot. Good luck![​IMG]

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Depends, if they scare him he might, it doesn't hurt really just kind of makes you jump, you might end up with a really nice rooster or a really mean rooster... it depends. Good Luck!!

6. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    I have a huge BO Roo that decided tonight to spur and flog the wife on both legs! Can anyone guess who will be going to freezer camp in the near future??

7. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I had 2 extra roos that were raping my duck! They went to freezer camp too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by