Nasty face injury from raccoon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmayhem, Feb 28, 2017.

1. kmayhem

kmayhem New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    Hi- So one of my old hens had half her face ripped off by a raccoon. Current treatment: saline wound wash, triple antibiotic cream, penicillin shots.. She has water with aspirin and electrolytes and food. I'm waiting for the flap to dry out so I can cut it off. I can't reattach it ( I tried). Anything else I should do?? She's hanging out in the bathroom, warm and safe. I haven't seen her eat or drink yet- but the accident happened yesterday at 3am... Poor gal. Her back is fine, open wound on her neck but nothing too bad.
    [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but is that her face hanging like that? Is that all open flesh under what is hanging - including over her eye?

If she's not eating and drinking she may be in severe pain and shock - or not even be able to. Sometimes euthanasia is a merciful thing. You, obviously, are the one to make that call, though.

3. kmayhem

kmayhem New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    Ya.. I was going to cull her last night, but she perked up. So still on the fence. Her eye lid is gone, but the eye is still there. And its half her face. The other half is fine. I got her to drink a little something earlier. So who knows? I would never keep an animal alive longer then is humane.. But its such a hard call. Help her fight or help her go...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by