Nasty flesh wound on young Buff Orpington (Picture)PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

karrint

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
My daughter just found our little BO behind the feeder with this huge wound on her head. I'm not sure how it happened. Looks a bit severe to be from my big girls pecking her, but I suppose it's possible. Anyway, my main concern now is what to do. I've brought her inside and cleaned it up a little bit. Should I put bluecote on it? Should I leave it alone? I have no way to suture it. We really love this little girl, and I don't know how best to help her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

71309_bufforp.jpg

hit.gif
Yes - it could very well have occured from being pecked. Once blood is drawn, more and more typically join in because chickens are attracted to the red of a wound/blood. Many people here have experienced a bird being pecked to death and even canabilized - most often occuring when there is not enough space in the coop, or smaller birds (or single birds) being integrated into a flock, when bullying goes to it's most extreme.
That wound is too exposed for me to feel comfortable advicing blue kote. I would keep it clean and keep her in a dog crate in the house until she is well healed. If she begins acting sickly, and refuses to eat/drink (other than the first few hours of shock), then I would put her down. But there have been many cases of severe skull wounds where the birds have made a full recovery. I sure hope someone who has dealt with this first hand can better advise you with medicines...

Yeah, I was afraid of that. They have a huge coop and free run of my yard, but they must have singled her out from the other little ones and cornered her somehow. Ugh. I'll skip the bluekote. Wondering if I should get some baytril for her? I'm worried about it being able to close up and heal, there's so much skin missing.
Thank you for your input.

PUT on Hydrogenperoxide pour some on I had the same problenm with 1 of my black sex links Hens Make sure you keep her a way from the rest of the flock for 2-3 weeks . Put some on every day till the feather grow back Trust me it Will work

Thank you. I'll try that. I have her all set up in a dog cage inside. Hope she won't be too lonely, but I know I can't put her around any of the others until she's healed. Poor Twinkie.

Quote:
I'd use iodine (diluted with water to iced tea color) over hydrogen peroxide because hydrogen peroxide will damage healthy tissue as well as infected/bad tissue.

There are TONS of posts around about chickens with identical wounds to your sweet girl's and they made a full recovery. She'll start looking much better in a matter of days - chickens are amazing healers!

Last edited:
x2.

Peroxide is good to use on a dirty wound because it helps "boil up" the gunk and dirt and get it out, but on a nice clean wound like that, I would just go with Betadine/Iodine wash. Apply some antibacterial cream or ointment (cream preferably) to keep moist and avoid infection.

Ok, I just cleaned it with diluted iodine and put some neosporin cream on it. She's eating and drinking, and my fingers are crossed. I'll post some pictures as she hopefully heals.

Back
Top Bottom