Nasty Frizzel

SunnysideSam

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 17, 2013

This is Emily White. I think she is about 14 weeks old and she is really awful. She has drawn blood on Emily Brown a Pekin Cross whom she was raised with and has even torn a nail off doing so. She is a frizzel silky cross. Trouble is I'm starting to wonder if she is a he....what do you think?

I was told she was a frizzel. The feathers on her underbelly are very soft and silky like though...she came from a very mixed farm with all manner of breeds. Mostly Silky, Pekin and Isa Browns. There were some pretty weird looking birds around!

To be fair I wouldn't expect a roo to be attacking pullets you would expect it to be a girl-on-girl thing if they were fighting. However that comb is looking rather big and red for 14 weeks!

With a comb that big and red at 14 weeks, I'm going to have to vote roo. Are you sure Emily Brown is a pullet? Maybe Emily White doesn't like her because she's actually a he.

By the way, those names are the best! Are all your chickens called Emily-something?

You've got a 100% full-blown, sure-fire cockerel on your hands. The comb's way more developed, red, and plump than I would expect for 14 weeks.

Last edited:
I had 2 4 year old girls here who both wanted to call their chook Emily. My compromise was white and brown for last names! The rest are Elizabeth, Ebb (Flow died), Alice, DJ Chicky and Chumly (a girl).

They have a big yard. I've kept all these young ones away from the old hens and ducks...until last night. I put the frizzel in with them to get a taste of her/his own medicine. She sure is a timid little thing this morning. I will give her a couple of weeks. If she is really a rooster then Emily White will have to go back to the farm.

hi sam, just came looking for your thread to see what the general consensus was. by the sounds of things you might have to change her (his) name to Emilio White!

Back
Top Bottom