1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nasty Frizzel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunnysideSam, Feb 17, 2013.

1. SunnysideSam

SunnysideSam New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is Emily White. I think she is about 14 weeks old and she is really awful. She has drawn blood on Emily Brown a Pekin Cross whom she was raised with and has even torn a nail off doing so. She is a frizzel silky cross. Trouble is I'm starting to wonder if she is a he....what do you think?

2. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Hmm...I think it certainly is possible. Do you know what she/he is crossed with?

3. SunnysideSam

SunnysideSam New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    I was told she was a frizzel. The feathers on her underbelly are very soft and silky like though...she came from a very mixed farm with all manner of breeds. Mostly Silky, Pekin and Isa Browns. There were some pretty weird looking birds around!

4. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    To be fair I wouldn't expect a roo to be attacking pullets you would expect it to be a girl-on-girl thing if they were fighting. However that comb is looking rather big and red for 14 weeks!

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    With a comb that big and red at 14 weeks, I'm going to have to vote roo. Are you sure Emily Brown is a pullet? Maybe Emily White doesn't like her because she's actually a he.

By the way, those names are the best! Are all your chickens called Emily-something?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a roo.
    How much space do your birds have? That's the most common cause of picking on each other.

7. TheCrazyClucker

TheCrazyClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    You've got a 100% full-blown, sure-fire cockerel on your hands. The comb's way more developed, red, and plump than I would expect for 14 weeks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. SunnysideSam

SunnysideSam New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    I had 2 4 year old girls here who both wanted to call their chook Emily. My compromise was white and brown for last names! The rest are Elizabeth, Ebb (Flow died), Alice, DJ Chicky and Chumly (a girl).

9. SunnysideSam

SunnysideSam New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    They have a big yard. I've kept all these young ones away from the old hens and ducks...until last night. I put the frizzel in with them to get a taste of her/his own medicine. She sure is a timid little thing this morning. I will give her a couple of weeks. If she is really a rooster then Emily White will have to go back to the farm.

10. mariathesilkie

mariathesilkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    hi sam, just came looking for your thread to see what the general consensus was. by the sounds of things you might have to change her (his) name to Emilio White!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by