Nasty hen won't leave chick alone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtlantisPeeps, Jul 29, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Songster

May 19, 2014
    US
    I have 4 hens, and 6 eleven week old chicks. One or two of the hens won't leave my favorite chick alone. They peck her butt till she's raw and bleeding. We took the chick out and let her heal. Then we put blue kote on her bum to hopefully stop further pecking till she completely heals up. Didn't work. That hen just keeps attacking her! So this time we tried pine tar. The day after we applied it she was getting pecked again. I can't keep sleeping with this chick in my room (she's noisy) and I'm not going to get rid of her. What should I do?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Generally you want to wait to combine flocks until the younger chicks are about the same size as the older ones, so usually around 4 months for standard birds, and then it is best to have a long period of the two flocks being able to see each other but no touching, through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new/younger ones in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. After a week or two, letting them free range together is a good idea and should help... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  3. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    Agreed. I also read that someone uses a pet taxi as like a time out for meanies (kept it in the coop in the pet taxi for a certain amount of time). Not sure how well that works, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: