Nasty ice storm....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SundownWaterfowl, Dec 12, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Last night we got a very nasty ice storm. All you heard all night were tree branches busting. A huge tree went through our neighbors living room. And we have no power, im using the generator now. Our county is in a state of emergency. All of the animals are okay. I was worried with now power and the cold, my 3 month old silkies outside with no heat lamp. I couldnt sleep. A couple big branches fell on the goose pen, by they are all fine. And some branches fell onto the coop where my Silkies are, but luckly everybody is fine. Its a real mess.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I'm glad all is ok with you and yours. How scary!!

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Sounds nasty! glad to hear you and the girlies are Ok, keep us posted as to how you are though!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I saw the pictures on the news this morning. Some of that ice is 4 inches thick!!!! I immediately thought of all the BYC'ers up in the that area. You remain in my thoughts.

5. SundownWaterfowl

Thank you.

I just heard that we might not have power for 4 days to a week.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We have those dang ice storms down here, too. It's way worse than just snow! Hope you manage till the power is back on! Be really careful out there.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Glad you're okay! We got the tailend of that storm. Had about an inch of ice covering everything. I couldn't open my mailbox for 2 days, so I'm wondering if the post is holding it. LOL!

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I heard about that storm. Our local meteorologist was quite impressed with how insane it was going to be. How long do you think that area will be without power?

9. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:I heard 4 days to more than a week. Im just worried about the chicks outside. They are 3 months old and its supposed to be about 18 tonight.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I heard 4 days to more than a week. Im just worried about the chicks outside. They are 3 months old and its supposed to be about 18 tonight.

Have they been getting heat up to this point? If not they should be ok, my husband cousin had 3 week old babies out with mama hen on thanksgiving, and it was very cold, I think mid 20's if I remember correctly - those babies were out and about scratching around in leaves and such - they were doing really well, and not even fully feathered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by