NASTY infection, help identify?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsekrazy74, Dec 19, 2011.

1. horsekrazy74

horsekrazy74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

Okay, so this is what she looked like about 10 minutes ago, we used a warm paper towel and removed all the junk from her eye. Well needless to say, we pulled out pus about the size of a marble that was yellow and white. We were so disgusted that I couldnt even look at her eye any more without gagging. When we got it out, her eye ball was a gray color and shes now blind in that eye. The eye socket is swolen and the eyeball is like sucked into the back of it.. i know, EXTREMELY gross!

Does anyone know what this could be? Could we pen her up for a few weeks and giver her antibiotics to see if that clears it?

Im lost with this infection, PLEASE help!

--Katherine

2. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Oh my...That looks nasty. One of my girls had something like a blister on her eye and I gave her Tylan 50 1/2cc orally. She's looking better and it's only been 3 days. Maybe try some of that to help with infection. (although my girl didn't look anything like that, no pus or visible infection) I attached a pic. Sorry you have this going on.

I don't know...hope someone with more knowlege than me has some better advise.

[​IMG]

3. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] Oh my goodness! I don't know, but I hope someone can help, and I hope she gets better! has she been acting weird before this?

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Is this the same bird that you posted about 2 weeks ago?
    What have you done in the meantime?
    I mean, you knew there was a major problem, did you take her to the vet, or have any labs done then?
    This has gotten to the point that now, she is blind, and she could possibly die from the infection in her head.
    I'm sorry, but you may have waited too long. If I were you, I would get a cotton swab full of that goo, and get it sent out for labwork PRONTO.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely it's coryza or mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Here's a link, scroll down and read about them if you wish.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. horsekrazy74

horsekrazy74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes, this is the bird I posted about a few weeks ago. But, we have kept cleaning it. The thing is, that we really just dont think we need to go out and spend huge loads of money on this $10 chicken. We dont have any Avian vets in the area or anyone willing to look at a chicken either. So thats out of the question. We are going to lock her up for half a day for the next few days and give her antibiotics to see if it helps at all, and if not.. well.. she may have to go to chicken heaven. [​IMG]

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm so sorry for Her she looks horrible, not everybody can afford a vet for there chickens, all we can do is all we can do, I say keep her seperated from the rest of the flock and follow through with the antibiotics, if she makes it through (and I sincerly hope she does) all the better, but if she doesn't at least you knew you did what you could for her. [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If it is MG, be prepared to lose your flock and keep it closed until they die or are dispatched...the follow up clean up to rid the area of it is a long process as well. Take some of that gunk to the State Lab and have it checked pronto.

9. julia39

julia39 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2011
    yeah get it checked for contagious disease and isolate that chicken from the flock and treat it...I wouldnt spend hundreds of dollars on a ten dollar chicken either........good luck with the chicken...

10. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    my chicken got really sick and had eye infection as well. is this mucous in the eye? I used lots of stuff. tried neosporin and polysporin directly in the eye because I read that online. it did not work for us. tried pink eye med that did not work. tried lots of antibiotics and they did not work. I would of taken her in but we could not afford it... I finally put her on tylan but I think she had the infection to far gone by then. I am sorry your are going though this, and really are we here to point the finger and say why did you not get her in. I mean I feel so bad that we lost our hen, it was horrid to lose her and not have money to take her in, but some of us just can not spare the funds. my dad used to say do the best you can by your animals or don't have them. I believe he did not mean only people with money should have animals I think he meant do your best love them feed them and keep stuff clean we only have one dog becuse of vet bills..that is why we only have one dog. love my chickens but my dog sleeps in the house and defends us with his very life. just want to say I know what you are going though and I am sorry, I read the link and learned a lot from it, I got tylan and injected it. there is also a power you can get at the feed store and get it directly in the eye, it comes in a bottle and you just squeeze the bottle in the eye it is a form of tylan wilco carrys it..

good luck.. really stinks when they are sick...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by