Nasty nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by love4mychickens, May 25, 2019.

1. love4mychickens

love4mychickens Songster

Dec 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hello i have 13 hens and 1 rooster in a 20 chicken coop. They have 5 nesting boxes, but only use 2. Over the winter they have been breaking their eggs and eating them, even though they had full access to their feed and full access to outside. I thought they would maybe stop while we're heading into spring, but they haven't. I've tried the mustard in the egg and surprisingly they still ate it! The nesting boxes are getting so gross to the point where i'd be cleaning them everyday, when i clean the coop once a week. I have never had this problem before. Any suggestions on how to break this habit, or will I continue having to clean the nesting boxes daily? Ps: the eggs are collected around the time they are done laying.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    penny1960 and trumpeting_angel like this.
  2. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Go out there evry hour or so and collect the eggs. Of the eggs are collected a few times a day they arnt just sittin there waitin to be eaten. Also get some ceramic or fake eggs to put in the boxes. Or maybe consider diffrent nesting box types such as a roll away.

3. orrpeople

orrpeople Grading essays - be back soon!

Jun 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    The other thing to think about is the amount of light coming in to the boxes. Typically, the darker the box, the better for that kind of behavior. Sorry you're dealing with this - no fun!

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I have found that once they learn that eggs are tasty.... you can't train them to stop.

Ceramic eggs might help, and making sure that they have oyster shell in a dish to the side, as much as they want can help make the eggs a bit stronger.

However, in my experience.... the only cure is roll out nest boxes, or new chickens.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What does this mean in feet by feet?
    Dimensions and pics would help immensely.

imnukensc and starri33 like this.
  6. starri33

starri33 Crowing

Feb 28, 2016
    Golden Valley AZ
    I had that issue with mine, we made roll-away nests, using paint trays, the eggs would roll down under a flap on the edge of the nest box. Finally broke them of it, the suggestions for the ceramic eggs are a good one, I do from time to time find one that has been broken, but I check the shell and it's generally thin.. I make sure that they have oyster shell available 24/7 and I'll get them the added calcium layer feed. Our local feed store doesn't have it so I have to go to our next town over to get it.

7. love4mychickens

love4mychickens Songster

Dec 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    @aart it is a 6x10 foot coop. I didn't know if it would help.

8. love4mychickens

love4mychickens Songster

Dec 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    yes,I will try the ceramic eggs, and consider roll away nesting boxes. They do have oyster shells. Thankyou!

penny1960 and trumpeting_angel like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is that just the coop, not including run or nests?
    That's why some pics would be good.
    Sounds like tight space for 14 birds...
    ....crowding can cause behavioral problems, including egg eating.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

penny1960 and hispoptart like this.
  10. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: