Nasty Roo or just establishing the pecking order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stina3246, Aug 26, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    So I just brought home a super sweet black cockin Roo today. I think he may be a banty cause he's tiny, about the same size as my other 2 banties and about the same age. (Who are addicting like potatoe chips!!) The first thing he did was attack and rape my silkie. He knicked her up pretty good but once he was done he didn't mess with eith her after that. He was even trying to cuddle up to my Frizzle whio didn't want to have anything to do with him. Was he just trying to establish whose boss or can I expect my feather flying latter on?
    This is him. I'm considering calling him Barbosa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I have a bantam Buff Cochin roo that is OBNOXIOUS to the hens. I separated him out of the flock, because the girls didn't want anything to do with him, and in his effort to mate he would tear out large clumps of neck feathers with his beak. Our opinion was simple...we didn't want him to have babies. Your rooster is a rooster...his objective is to mate with any other female chicken. If you don't want the breeding, separate them. He will continue to breed her otherwise.

3. stina3246

Mar 25, 2010
    Quote:I don't mind if he mates with them as long as it isn't as violent as the first time. I have never seem chickens mate and it seemed pretty violent, he pulled out feathers, pinned her to the ground standing on both wings cause she was trying to flap and held her by the neck so I wasn't sure if he was establishing his dominence and pecking order and things would settle down or if it sounded like he was actually a bad roo. I've seen horses mate and it wasn't this violent but once he did that he pretty much ignored them and went about his business and never bothered the Frizzle at all.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken sex isn't pretty. Once the hens become more accustomed to him, they all may settle down.

5. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    If the hen doesn't "want" his affections, he will most likely continue to force it. What you explained you saw is EXACTLY how they do it! The hens will lose feathers on their back and neck because the rooster needs something to grip on to. There is no romance to it. It is brief. My own roosters are awkward and AGGRESSIVE with females that try to avoid their affections. Several hens have lost clumps of neck feathers trying to run away. I've also noticed how my roosters that are lower in the pecking order, try to steal hens from the dominant rooster. This has lead to a more "violent" display of mating.

It is very likely your hens will become acclimated to his attentions....especially if he becomes the "king" rooster! Your roo isn't a bad roo. Just one who wants to procreate! In my earlier post, I didn't explain as well as I could have that when the rooster wants to mate, he will grab a hen by the back of her neck. If she is receptive, she will squat down. If she wants nothing to do with him, she will try to run away...most likely losing her neck feathers. Even a sweet rooster will pull some feathers out (wear them down) while mating. Our large fowl hens wanted NOTHING to do with our bantam cochin roo. So when he'd get a hold of one, in their flight to get away from him, they'd lose a bunch of neck feathers. He got to the point of such frustration, that he started going after their legs to try and pin them down....and pulling feathers that way. He was obnoxious, so we separated him...I plan on finding him a different home. We call him Bonaparte.

[​IMG]

Obviously if your hens aren't receptive to him, and he continues a violent behavior, it would be wise to separate them. Sometimes the silkies are an easy target for the roosters...just because they are easier to catch. It is more likely though that the girls will accept him if he is the dominant rooster.

Sourland said it best...chicken sex isn't pretty.

Good luck...and keep us posted!

6. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
  7. stina3246

Mar 25, 2010
    Thanks guys. I think he's gonna work out fine and I'm so happy. He hasn't molested my girls since the first time. He is the sweetest rooster to me. He actually comes to me and wants to be petted and has no problem being picked up and snuggled. I had a REALLY bad day yesterday and he was my one ray of sunshine so I'd like to find a name that fits him. I don't like typical names. I considered Sunny but it's too common. ANY suggestions for my little ray of sunshine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by