nasty roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pit Bull Farm, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Pit Bull Farm

Pit Bull Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    My little bantam roo is starting to get more and more aggressive with me. As soon as I turn my back he attacks me and it is getting old. I always hold my ground but any other suggestions? also what can I do about his spurs? they are getting long and starting to really hurt. I really like my bantam roo and I do not want to get rid of him but I do not know what to do. I also have another roo who is a little younger and they get along just fine and that roo does not attack me. My bantam roo will be 1 year old in march. Thanks for any help

2. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    How old is your roo? When my roo reached sexual maturity he got very aggressive and I thought about cullling or getting rid of him too. But after about 3-4 wks. he calmed doen. It seems just as they reach sexual maturity and a little while after they are more aggressive. Some stay mean others calm down. Mine calmed down quite a bit but my neighbors is the meanest roo I've ever seen. I'd wait and see if he calms down, if he just reached that age that is. There are some things you can do to calm down an aggerssive roo, not sure of the post but someone has methods to help the dominance in them.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. Pit Bull Farm

Pit Bull Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Thanks for the info I read that page and will try what they suggest. My husband really likes this roo and I do not want to get rid of him but attacking me when my back is turned needs to stop...... such a sneeky little bugger! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by