Nasty rooster........ no more

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Singlemaple, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Singlemaple

Singlemaple Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Merrimack NH
    I've noticed over the last few weeks that one of our 3 roosters was getting kinda mean ( we have 30+ hens so we had a rooster for every 10ish) that worked very well until a few weeks ago.

So today I went out to let the chickens out and collect eggs and saw one of my hens had a completely bare lower back and that about a quarter of each wing was plucked and had broken feathers i did notice that one rooster would run up and pluck feathers but i didn't think it was this bad, so i went to get some stuff for her back and put it on her within 5 minutes of me on the porch with that hen this rooster had chased 3 of my other hens and was literally plucking them....

so i did what any rational person would do set down the hen i had and chase after him grabbed him and brought him to my dad..... well lets just say it was not at hard as i thought it would be, we scalded him and plucked him and everything after we cut his head and it was not hard at all it smelled super bad but was not hard... 1 hour after his attacks he is now cut up and resting in the fridge..

This was the first chicken i have culled and cleaned ever.... now i don't think it will be to hard to do the rest of my older hens in october before they stop laying so i have some stew birds....

one thing i am trying to figure out now.

How do i clean the feathers, i have enough for a little pillow with the pin feathers and i have the prettiest wing and tail feathers for hair clips or w/e i just need to figure out the best way to clean them.

-Hanaah

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Yeah,it really isn't as hard as I thought either.The moment leading up to it was worse than the deed.Sorry no idea on the feather cleaning.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    How was the bird dispatched?

4. cracked egg

cracked egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    Clean the feathers in warm water,a little vinegar and dish soap swish them around ,dry them and they are done. You can also dye them with kool-aid if you want a different look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by