nasty rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SERFASS' CHICKEN COOP, Oct 23, 2009.

1. SERFASS' CHICKEN COOP

SERFASS' CHICKEN COOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    i have a nasty Rhode Island Red Rooster and are at my wits end. I have no problems with the hens just my rooster. Any one have any suggestions?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Soup.

Seriously though, get a new bird and eat your mean one. There are far too many sweet and gentle roosters out there to waste time trying to rehab a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  3. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    I have heard that they are usually pretty aggresive...I just had two fiesty ones that I took to sale a few weeks back and one of them nailed me in the arm as I was trying to catch him...looked like I had been shot and bruised up for days... the other one wasn't much better....I agree with Mik...Chop chop or rehome....

4. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    just put him in his place dont be scared of him just give him a little kick in the but ( not to hard to hurt him badly) and just remember RIR roosters are GREAT for chicken noodle soup [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I agree with the rest. No room for aggression. We don't tolerate mean birds here. If I can't handle them, they have got to go. Put him on craigslist if you cna't do the deed yourself. Somebody out there can and wont have a problem eating him for supper afterwords.

I show my roos who is really in charge at a young age. First sign of aggresssion towards me and they get swift punishment and they know why. I don't hurt any of them. The last time a roo thought he would go after me I grabbed him my his head and held him down a few minutes. And I did it everytime he attempted it after and it didn't take long and he just avoided me all together. He just stayed away from me. He found out that he wasn't really the boss, at least when I was around he wasn't. lol He couldn't claw or flap his wings at me because I had him confined to the ground or where ever he was at when he tried it. Don't be afraid and show it. He knows he has the upper hand then.

"Show him exactly who is BOSS" or have him for supper

6. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Mine were mean, so I had them "offed". That same day, before I thought a Head Hen could be established I got myself a silkie roo... It's been over a month and my hens still pick on him. I still have to keep them seperated...
    But I'd rathar do that then have my RIRs beating up girls. I hope that someday they will accept him.
    If you do get rid of him and get another roo, I don't suggest one as docile as a silkie. Just a suggestion...[​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    A nice long soak in simmering broth will make even the nastiest rooster turn nice. [​IMG]

Think of this: the ideal ratio in a mixed flock is 1:10, and there are many flocks with no roosters at all. So figure there are "job positions" for barely 10% of all roosters hatched, jobs as flock husbands, breeders, or pets. That means 90% of all roosters hatched have their purpose on a plate. If not yours, if you cannot bear to do the deed, then at the table of some other grateful family. There are worse things that could happen to a rooster than to provide nourishment for some appreciative people.

There are many nice, mannerly roosters heading off to freezer camp. Why not do one of them, and yourself, a favor and swap your nasty roo for one of these gentlemen?

8. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

I think that nothing tastes better than a nasty tempered rooster. That way you don't feel guilty about it!

9. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Dig a hole
    kill him
    put him in it
    Forget about the mean rooster [​IMG]

10. hillsflock

hillsflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Abbeville, SC