1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Does anyone have any ideas what to do with a muddy run. They have worn all the grass away. It turns into a mud pit whenever it rains. I would like to plant grass but the chickens will ruin the seed. Any ideas?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Sand is by far and away the best solution for a muddy run.

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    some people use some 1/2 inch wire mesh on a 2x4 frame to allow grass to grow in patches so the chickens cannot scratch at it. Personally I use a movable chicken tractor. and some others use a multiple run system to allow one to "recoup" while the other run is being used. maybe one of these ideas can help.

4. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    I had the same problem, and then put wood mulch into my run (I wanted sand, but the run is 15x30 feet, and that was too much sand for me to get...). Mulch works great, and they love to dig in it.

5. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    If your run is small you could by sod. If you buy it from the farm it is less than dollar a section.

6. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I use wood mulch, they love to dig and sift threw it. Just keep adding to it as it decomposes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by