nasty silkie please help me

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boykin2010, Oct 26, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok here is my situation i have 10 hens in a large chicken tractor. My silkie will NOT sleep on the roosting bar at night in even though there are 3 different bars in different places and different hights. She chooses to sleep in one of the 3 nesting boxes. She also poops in it and the poop has made her butt fur turn brown and matted up looking and the gnats are killing her. I feel so bad because it almost looks painful for her to walk with her butt " fur " so crispy and dry and just plain nasty looking from her sleeping in her own poo. I clean out the boxes all the time and she just gets back in there and poops on herself.
    so i need an idea on
    1. how to keep her from sleeping in the nesting boxes and ruining her "fur"
    2. how to make her fur loook better. is there such thing as washing a chicken. IF so can someone give me a DETAILED description of the proper way to do it.

thank you ahead of time

2. chipmunkridge

chipmunkridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    We bath chickens for shows, they don't seem to mind at all.

2 buckets one for soaping, one for rinsing, water deep enough to cover body but keep head out, use mild soap. Towel dry then blow dry on low heat. This part is ESPECIALLY fun with silkies as she will poof into a ball.

I'm not sure how to make her not sleep in a nest. None of my silkies have wanted to roost.

3. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok thank you so much can you give examples of how to hold her while bathing her. Also what type of soap like johnson soap like u would give to a baby???

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I happen to like this link. We bathe with baby shampoo.

http://www.silkiechickens.com/bathing_silkies.htm

My Silkie who lives with my layers also prefers the nesting box to the roost. Alot of Silkies are like this. However, mine doesn't poop on herself.

5. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    i have a coop thats maybe 2 feet off the ground (small) my silkies would not even get in it must be afraid of heights or something they would sleep under the ladder lol

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Also and idea-if her feathers are really getting that matted, perhaps think about giving her a little trim back there so there's less the poop can cling to.

7. chipmunkridge

chipmunkridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    Quote:If the bucket is shallow enough, the chicken will stand there, put one hand on the back and lather with the other. If the bucket is deep I cradle the chicken with one arm and lather with the other. I use liquid Ivory soap or baby shampoo.
    They usually squalk a bit going into the bucket and then settle right down.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Block the nesting boxes in the evening so that she is unable to get into them. Many silkies never learn to roost. If your roost is too high, she may be uanable to access it.

9. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i have 1 that is probably a foot or foot and half off the ground and it is connected to different roosting bars at the top of the coop for the layers. they all sleep on the roostin bar except the silkie. I am probably going to bathe her and clip the fur from her backside so it wont get matted so bad again. I am hoping mine will cooperate while i bather her. Thank yall so much for the replys

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My poo butt silkies get a nice haircut back there. End of problem. I know this won't help prevent her from sleeping in a nest box, but if you put a piece of wood across the box or anything she can roost on, she will not sit in her poop. My silkies will roost on a landscape tie on the ground but not on the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by