1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nasty smell coming from the incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenCrazy01, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazy01

ChickenCrazy01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    I have my incubator locked in the linen closet so the kids can't mess with it and it is draft free. I hatched out poults last week and when the hatch was over I cleaned the incubator out with oxine and let it sit out in the sun for the day. I set this hatch of chicken eggs(51) Friday night and the past few days I have noticed when I open the closet door I smell a nasty smell and when I get closer to the incubator I smell it worse. I think I may have a bad egg or two but how can I tell? I don't see any eggs seeping or cracks but I am afraid I am going to have one explode or the "bad" one contaminate my whole incubator and kill off the good ones. I will add oxine to the water today.

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    you can probabley smell the bad one. Sniff it out and through it away before it explodes.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Take them out and smell them 1 by 1. Find the stinky and toss it!

4. ChickenCrazy01

Apr 15, 2011
    It is time for my mid day turning of the eggs so I will give each one a sniff as I turn them. Lord I hope I don't get sick on them.

5. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X's 2! Pronto!

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    On Day 15 I kept smelling a manure/eggy smell coming from our bator. I didn't have any cracks or seeping on the eggs. I picked each one up and smelled them and found our #5 Leghorn gave off a terrible "poop" odor. The advice I got was take it out & don't risk the other eggs. I'm glad I did remove it b/c it was definitely dead when I took it outside to eggtopsidy it. The chick looked like it had died around Day 9 and it stunk even worse inside the egg.

7. ChickenCrazy01

Apr 15, 2011
    Eek I found the culprit. I was my Blue Copper Maran egg I knew it was IT without even getting it too close to my nose. When I threw it out it popped. I am glad I got it out of the incubator before it popped and I had to clean that mess up.

8. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    that is the worst smell ever. I have thrown up on that several times!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by