nasty swollen foot. Sad Ending.

Bammony

Red-dress-less
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
Salina, Utah
My standard Cochin roo had a swollen foot about a month ago so I went to my vet and he gave me two shots of an antibiotic to give him but said he wouldn't make it and to just kill him. I went home and gave him the shots over a two week period, and the swelling went away. Now it's back and worse. Killing him isn't an option yet. My sisters BO hen had the same thing and she opted to do surgery on her. The surgery went well and her hen made a full recovery. I'm not sure what to do. I will do surgery if I have to. What do ya'll think????? This is him
babygoatsforsure-36.jpg

This is his foot
bumblefootandturkey-3.jpg
bumblefootandturkey-4.jpg
bumblefootandturkey-5.jpg
bumblefootandturkey-6.jpg

Last edited:
Might want to search on gout as well. I don't see a plug to indicate bumblefoot, but it could be hiding under those feathers. Gout produces similar swelling if not worse (without the black plug). What kind of feed does he eat?

Jody

This poor rooster was put to sleep last night. I walked out to check everyone's feed and he was laying on his back with his big swollen foot up in the air. I turned him over and tried to help him stand but he just fell and his head was just laying there in the dirt with his little eye just looking at me. I decided it was time. I usually burn my dead birds but I couldn't do it to "Cookie". I buried him. I cried and cried all night.He was my favorite rooster and was a pet, not just a backyard chicken. He was very gentle. When I went to pick him up, he never fought. I'd lay him back on my arm with his legs up and rub his waddles and he'd always fall asleep. He will be very missed. I'm not looking forward to going out to feed this morning because of course he won't be there. It's funny how attached we get to these awesome animals.

OH NO I am SO sorry for your loss! I sure wish there was a happy ending to this story. We do get so attached to these critters don't we. I came close to losing my BO just yesterday but she decided to pull through. I would have been heartbroken too.

So very sorry for your loss! How wonderful that your roo had you to help him pass quickly and mercifully, though. It's the crummiest job we will ever do, but it's also the finest gift we can give our animal friends when there is no hope of comfort or recovery.

Wishing him a peaceful journey ~

Bammony, I'm so sorry! My eyes are welling up just reading your post. I haven't even gotten my first chicken yet, & I'm already dreading what I would do (or will do) in your situation.
sad.png

I too was almost in tears after reading that you lost Cookie and the special bond you two shared. I'm so sorry. They do find a way into our hearts, don't they.

Sending (((Hugs)) your way.

Back
Top Bottom