1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nasty Tumor, no symptoms.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PickUpChicks, Mar 4, 2016.

1. PickUpChicks

PickUpChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Lompoc Ca
    So my Roo Roo has this nasty tumor. We noticed it a while back and now it's gotten bigger. We didn't do anything about it initially because it didn't and still doesn't seem to bother him at all. He's two years old now & his personality has stolen my heart. At first we thought we would let nature take it's course as long as it didn't bother him... But now I want to do something about it. I do want to take him to the vet soon, but I'm curious if anyone knows how serious this ugly thing could be? He's completely unaffected by it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    Because of all that fluff, it is impossible for me to get any idea of the location of the tumor and how it joins the body.

You CAN often do surgery yourself, in fact you can do it with an elastic band rather than a knife.

If it doesn't have a foot in the middle of the tumor, but is attatched to somewhere else on the body you can put an elastic band around the base of it. This will slow bloodflow and eventually cause the tumor to simply fall off. This is essentially how bowel tumors in humans are often treated, as well as sterilizing many farm animals.

3. PickUpChicks

PickUpChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Lompoc Ca
    Upon examining, I could feel the lump is exterior. I also noticed I could feel feathers at the top of the lump. I've also noticed smaller lumps that look like feathers trying to come through. I searched feather cysts and found that they look very similar to what I'm dealing with. Most people do surgery and remove them themselves, this makes me really nervous.

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Is it on his breastbone? If so, google breast blisters.

-Kathy

5. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    looks like a perfect candidate for elastic band (and possibly honey) treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by