National FMS awareness Walk

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Sierra pachie bars, May 1, 2009.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I am doing a walk for FMS Awareness. If anyone is able to donate to the cause that would be wonderful. This is my second year doing this fundraiser. If your unable to donate please read up and help spread the word. [​IMG] Many people suffer from FMS and don't even know what is wrong with them. The more people that know about this illness the more donations we can get for research and a cure !

Thank you

Here is the link to my page for donations. http://www.fmaware.org/site/TR/AwarenessDay/General?px=1323442&pg=personal&fr_id=1070

2. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    This is so weird. I decided to do my essay on Fibromyalgia because my mom has it and I spent today searching for sources. Kudos to you for walking for this cause!

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I have it and it is miserable, Praying for a cure!

4. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    I figure to do something useful with my illness. I do have other issues other then Fibro, however Fibro is what is really making life hard. I started with auto-immune and just never got better. Took many years almost 8 to figure out what it was. I have tried to educate people as much as I can. I also have used my dog as a way to also spread awareness not only to FMS but disabities of all forms. There are several dogs currently in training because of making people aware of their uses. I am very proud of that.
    FMS is nasty and what is so hard is it isn't visable. I often miss the old me the one who could do laundry and run and even walk without pain. I hope there is a cure in my lifetime because my 10 year old daughter is now suffering from it. Not to the degree I am at this point. So clearly it appears to have a genetic factor. But if anything it has made me greatful for so many little things.

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Quote:have you tried meds for it? I too suffer from debilitating FMS as does my DH, we've had it for over 10 years now and its horrid. I'm glad you're able to do the walk, good for you. [​IMG]

6. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    Yes I have been on all the meds. Lyrica I had a major side effect. I am on Cymbolta now which has helped some. I did stop taking it at one point and was unable to stand or get out of bed so it does help. Doctor says I won't be able to stop the pain , just take a edge off. There is a new medication , forget the name. It isn't approved yet but once it is my doctor is going to put me on it. I am hearing alot of postive things about it too so I have hope. I am pleased that alot more is known now then 7 years ago so that is postive [​IMG]
    I did gain 30 pounds from Gabapentin, I have since stopped taking and hoping to loose the weight gain. Apparently my thyroid is not working and I have to now go get a cat scan. I have thyroid issues too so sure that helped gain the weight too. I use to be hyper thyroid couldn't keep weight on. Gets very fusterating.

7. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Quote:you sound like me [​IMG] I'm so med sensitive its not even funny. I've tried every single one out there and then some over the years and so far.. cant take any of them; they shut my system down completely (I also have a bladder disease and neurogenic bladder, so meds..yeah.. they shut me down fast). Sucks huh? [​IMG] I tried Lyrica and Cymbalta..no go to either - was so excited but... failed again. Neurontin / Gabatril cant take - matter of fact I cannot take any anti's or SSRs/SSRI's at all - again, they shut me down as well as screw with my migraines. Oddest thing - drs just throw their hands up after years of trying. The one thing that does actually help a little (and very little i might add) with the nerve pain/muscle issues for me is actually my Topamax for my migraine control - it works on the nerve endings somehow. Go figure! I also take Zanaflex for the intense burning muscle thing and that usually knocks me out, so I dont take it during the day.

Yep - me too with thyroid. I have Graves (got it in 92 - was irradiated in 98/99, cant remember [​IMG]) and every 3 months I have to get checked. I was on Cytomel/Synthroid combo but just recently stopped it and went back to Synthroid only because I didnt feel any different this go round on the combo as I did 4 years ago on it. Weight... yep, hard to lose weight when you have thyroid issues... [​IMG] Sometimes I wish I could up my dose to rev my metabolism, but I know better LOL I'll give myself a heart attack for sure and we cant have that... so now its a wait and see thing. Ugh - its bad enough having fibro but then add thyroid on top of it and let that be off just a bit..and it makes fibro 10 times worse.

Good luck hun... try soaking in an epsom salt bath [​IMG] I do and it does work.

8. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    Yes hot baths with salt help [​IMG] But thing is it only lasts so long [​IMG]

The good thing is my doctor is still trying he is the type that is so postive and understands. I think he doesn't want me to give up hope. Just some days really stink. But I just go one day at a time and I must admit that having the chickens has helped me just de-stress. I can spend hours just sitting watching and hand feeding them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by