1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

National Western Stock Show COLORADO

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by aussieheelr, Dec 30, 2009.

1. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone going to the stock show this year? I saw poultry judging is on 1/09/10 won't make that [​IMG]
    Also currious if any nice birds make down there? When I use to show dutch rabbits I was always let down on my compition. Only showed 1 year in Colorado the competition just didn't seem out there, at least for that breed. So I was currious if there are decent Chickens that will be there... [​IMG]

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Where is it at?

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I am there every year for the draft horse show, one of biggest and best in the country. I havent missed it in over twenty years. Last year I walked the poultry area and large fowls was very scarce. The bantam show was much larger, but I cannot vouch for the quality as I dont have a big interest and did not pay much attention. It is not a big show by any means in terms of poultry. I hoped to get some RIR LF ready this year, but doesnt look like it is going to happen. Come see us at the draft show though It is awesome last three days of the show.

The National Western is held in Denver by the way. I think this is the 103rd year. I know we had the 100 year show just a few years ago.

ETA You are from Montrose one of the most beautiful areas in colorado. You are fortunate to be able to live there.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    We go every year too for as long as I can remember, but not for the poultry show. I don't think I remember ever being there for the judging of the birds. It looks like this year they are doing a one day show. I may try to make it the day of the show to see what it is like. We always take a look at what is there and there is seldom much at all in the way of poultry or waterfowl. I am not sure if that is just because we are not there at the right time or what.

Anyway, the National Western is HUGE. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that has never been. Even just the commercial exhibits/vendors make it well worth while.

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Greathorse:
    Draft horses huh? And you know Montrose... I wonder if you know my "neighbors" that live about 1 mile from me. From what I see I think they've got a dozon or so Percherons, beautiful big all black drafts. I've seen them driving carts and wagons down the road quite a few times. Don't know their names, I just slow down and oggle their horses on my way to work [​IMG] Montrose is beautiful, came out here from the eastern slope and don't think I could ever go back that way.

Last time I made it to stock show was about 10 years ago now... and at the time I was more interested in the rabbits and rodeo. Sheep shearing was neat to watch too. Sounds like I ought to get to work on a LF project to enter next year. Does anyone know if it's APA or how to find out?

here's a link to the maps and website for those interested:

http://www.nationalwestern.com/nwss/maps/index.php

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    It is likely that I know them if they are show folks. I get to see many of the show folks across the country. I have announced that show in Denver for about the last ten years. I think your neighbors could be the Bovard's. If it is nice folks and awesome horses. I dont think they are showing in Denver this year. If you see the show wagons and carts, they may only bring out their practice stuff it would be a dark green that is their show colors.

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to go to the National Western when I lived in Loveland, Colorado. It is a GREAT EXPERIENCE and yes, it is HUGE!!!
    My girlfriend at the time raised "Hunter-Jumpers" (Arabian). We always had a GREAT time there at that show!

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by