1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

natural alternative to blu-kote

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jsmith2952, Jul 25, 2014.

1. jsmith2952

jsmith2952 Chirping

May 22, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    wonder if anyone can help--

I have a one year old hen going through the world's longest molt. She has been slowly losing feathers for at least 6 months now. She has had a thumb-sized bald patch on the side of her neck for the past few months, and now has a similar-sized one on the other side. I didn't worry too much about it at first because I could see the feathers growing back. But about two months ago, the area was looking red and upon closer inspection I saw that those new feathers that had been growing, were bitten down to little bloody stubs. I posted a thread in another forum looking for a solution, since I couldn't figure out what was happening. Someone suggested that it was mutual grooming and perhaps one of the other hens was over-grooming the area. I would agree with that after watching the chickens interact with one another. The person also suggested using blu-kote on the site to deter future pecking. I don't feel comfortable using blu-kote as I'm not sure how it will affect egg production. What I'm looking for is a natural alternative or some other sort of solution for this problem. I found a recipe online that involved blue food colouring and honey, and while it sort of works, it comes off pretty quickly, and the poor girl spends an hour after I apply it desperately trying to get it off!

Any advice would be very appreciated!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

BluKote will not have any effect on egg production. You could also try an anti-picking topical to discourage the other birds picking at it if that's what's going on.

3. jsmith2952

jsmith2952 Chirping

May 22, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks for the quick reply.

can I get an anti-picking topical at a TSC?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: