Natural born MAMA

kwynn's birds Alaska

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Kenai, Alaska
Remember OX? I came home the other night, and the light in the big brooder was out. This is what I saw when I peeked in there.

14134_new_chicks_029.jpg

14134_new_chicks_028.jpg

I figured they were chilled, so I grabbed my camera, and snapped these pics. From what I can tell, she, (I hope she's a she) has 4 banties, and 2 quail under her.

My MIL said that maybe because she's bigger than the rest of them, she thinks she's the mama. (She's a standard, the only EE that hatched out of all the standard eggs. ) It was the cutest thing!!

I really hope she's a girl...
fl.gif

That is too adorable! I hope it is a "she" also!
fl.gif

However, I have an Araucana that I know is a rough and tough little roo and he does the same with his cage mate. If it (he/she) acts the lest bit chilled first thing in the mornings after I open the door, the Araucana roo (3 wks old) has his wing around the smaller 1 week old chick. I keep forgetting to get my camera.
I really hope yours is a pullet though! SHE looks like a natural!
clap.gif

Hi K!
smile.png
Missed you! Looks like your babies are growing like weeds... and you might have to find a new name for Ox!! LOL!
hugs.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Hi K!
smile.png
Missed you! Looks like your babies are growing like weeds... and you might have to find a new name for Ox!! LOL!
hugs.gif

I called it Ox for obvious reasons...she was so huge compared to the rest of them. But ox don't seem to be a good mama name...but then what if she is just a sweet boy like nadine's roo? I'm kind of stuck for a good name now.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
When our BR was about 5 weeks old we got some new bantam chicks. DH not knowing any better put them in with her. I ran out there worried that she would be picking on them, but nope. She was all puffed up with them under her wings. It was the cutest thing ever.

Big Buff did that when we added a chick that was four weeks younger than the rest. Ms. Peeps is still HIS favorite girl. I think if Ox is a boy, that might be the sign of a great flock rooster.

OX's daddy is a pretty good protector. If any of the girls squawk, he's right there to investigate. It's funnym because he's this skinny little rooster, and all his girls are bigger than he is.

What's it like in Kenai today? My sister is coming to Texas before it gets to gray in Juneau. They've had a bad summer and she want to see the sun while she can still remember what it looks like

Karen

Back
Top Bottom