Natural Chicks ????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jessicahilluk, May 21, 2008.

1. Jessicahilluk

Jessicahilluk New Egg

May 21, 2008
    United Kingdom
    So i've had my hen sitting on 2 eggs for 6 days now, I've decided not to check the eggs, or candle them or interfere at all (last time it happened, an egg broke in my hand [​IMG])..Is this a good way to do it ?..the natural way ??

Thanks [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

You bet! Haveing the hen set the eggs, and watching her teach them to forage...ahhhh..its so relaxing. No turning, no worry about humidity..no worry about power outages. Cant beat mother nature. Good luck with your hatch!

3. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    great way god luck to your hen

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I've heard that hes are the best incubators-you made an excellent choice! I have 4 LF eggs under my bantam hen right now, and plan to give her a few more chicks from the bator once they all hatch. I can't wait to see mama hen with her babies following!

5. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck with your Chicks,
    Dont forget to post Pictures,

6. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

good vibes coming your way [​IMG]

7. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Other than I like to have a few chicks to mother myself, I would much rather let the hen do it the natural way.
    They know just what to do and when to do it.

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Just be patient when they start to hatch. You may have some late hatchers. I think I accidently forced my hen off the nest too soon.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Absolutely the best way. hens have been doing this for hundreds of years without our interference...they are good at it! [​IMG]

Just be patient and wait and see what mama gives you. [​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I agree its sooo awesome to watch the mama hen take care of the little ones... I ordered 50 babies from MM last year they came to me the first week in april 07... I had 27 die on me and the majority of the rest was roosters. This year i had my tiny little sebright jap mix sit on 8 eggs and hatch them.... She did well and not one fatality or pasty butt, I was soooo pleased and id NEVER go the hatchery route again. Id rather order fertile eggs and have my hens sit on them.

Last edited: May 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by