Natural death or euthanasia? :(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickluvinfreak, Jan 3, 2017.

1. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

So I need an opinion on a very hard and sad question. My dog Leroy is turning 14 next month and is a lab, which is really old for that breed. He has suvere arthritis and hasn't been able to move his hind legs for awhile. His hearing is going, he has problems with his eyes and lots of bumps on his body. But he is a very happy dog and loves to be pet and follow people around the house. He has lost weight but never stops eating and drinking and getting excited about treats. His will to keep living makes this decision even harder. To make matters worse I was out of town all week and he stayed with my grandma. When I picked him up today she told me he had diarrhea and was also bleeding. She stopped giving him his medication without my permission probably thinking it was making the bleeding worse. Apparently not giving the medications did help stop the bleeding but he still has diarrhea. His medication is tumaric and a joint supplement so if I stop giving it to him his joints will get even worse! But I can't give it to him if it's causing him to bleed either! I'm almost positive he has cancer. And he would never survive surgery if I took him to a vet. I've debated putting him down for a long time but haven't because my family is so torn on what to do. My dad refuses the thought of euthanasia but I can't stand him being in pain :(. I'm at the end of my rope and need advice on how to make the right decision for him. I feel selfish no matter what I do. If I euthanize him it's because I didn't want to watch him be in pain. And if I let him die naturally it's because I'm not ready to lose him yet :hit
    Which decision is less selfish and best for him? Like I said earlier he doesn't act like anything is wrong and is just happy go lucky. He hasn't given up on life yet so why should I give up on him? Sorry for a long post and thanks for any help or advice.
    [​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Are keeping him alive for your sake or for his sake?It seems like he had a great life and you did everything you could.[​IMG]

3. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Does he have trouble getting around?

4. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I say if he can get around ok, he eats good, and he appears happy and not in any pain then let him go naturally. I'm really sorry Mackenzie :hugs :hugs

5. chickluvinfreak

Thank you :hugs I guess that's what my question is. I don't know if it's for his sake or mine. You are right, he has had a long great life and there isn't much more that I can do for him :/

6. chickluvinfreak

Yes, his back legs don't move but he can walk. He just looks like a stiff stick man when he does :(

Thank you :hugs He is happy and loves to eat but is in pain when he moves. Which is why I'm torn on what to do. I think he wants to keep living but is it fair to keep him suffering?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  7. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish

If he's in pain and can't walk correctly then I'd put him down. :( I think it would be better than see him suffer and have a slow death. I'm sorry :( :hugs

8. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I have to agree with that...
    I have been here before, I understand how hard it is
    It stinks when dogs die, coz they live longer than most other pets, so you get more attached.
    [​IMG]

9. chickluvinfreak

:hugs Thank you both. It wasn't really what I wanted to hear but I think it's what I needed to be told :( My dad wants to give him untill the end of January, he says he needs more time. Is that too long to wait? He's been living like this for months already so I don't think it will make a difference. I just worry when February comes around my dad will still refuse to put him down.

10. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Is he kinda your dads dog, if you know what I mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by