Natural habitat ;D

You can always choose plants that are native to your region, like broom or gorse. It's been a long time since I've visited the Liverpool area (my grandparents lived in Birkenhead for several years), but do pampas grasses grow well in your area? That would provide some cover, as well as being an attractive plant. I'd look at evergreen bushes (small hollies or conifers) to provide year-round cover, too, and maybe some "seedy" grasses for your birds to enjoy.

Depends very much what kind of quails you have, for example if you have quails that are native to the southwest, like gambels and valley, down here their habitat is very arid so I think a lot of grasses and some bushes would do great for them, always give them cover somewhere where they can hide. Just my opinion tho.

Quote:

(turn your speakers off . . .
wink.png
)

Quote:

wink.png
)

I quite liked the music
big_smile.png

Just today I planted up a huge wild muscadine (wild grape) vine into one pot and dug up a young pop corn tree for another pot and put it in with my quails. My problem with live plants in with them is they live with a cockatiel and three budgies so things have to be fast growing and tough to survive. I thought with the grape it might be fast enough to out grow the chewing its going to get but till then I will keep cutting fresh vines to go into it. That way the hook beaks can chew only some live and some cut greens.

Buddleia is lovely with birds (have it in with the finches) as are ferns and guava plants. That last one might be a bit tender for your climate though;)

From what I have seen of my quail they arnt hard on plants so go for it, plant whatever you like really.

Oh, mine are hard on lettuce! I plant bolted plants into a low pot and they eat all of it within a couple of hours. Its funny watching them jump for the tall bits!

Quote:

wink.png
)

I quite liked the music
big_smile.png

Just today I planted up a huge wild muscadine (wild grape) vine into one pot and dug up a young pop corn tree for another pot and put it in with my quails. My problem with live plants in with them is they live with a cockatiel and three budgies so things have to be fast growing and tough to survive. I thought with the grape it might be fast enough to out grow the chewing its going to get but till then I will keep cutting fresh vines to go into it. That way the hook beaks can chew only some live and some cut greens.

Buddleia is lovely with birds (have it in with the finches) as are ferns and guava plants. That last one might be a bit tender for your climate though;)

From what I have seen of my quail they arnt hard on plants so go for it, plant whatever you like really.

Oh, mine are hard on lettuce! I plant bolted plants into a low pot and they eat all of it within a couple of hours. Its funny watching them jump for the tall bits!

the only thing better then wild muscadine is scuppernongs Duplin makes a nice scuppernong blush they both grow wild here my quail seem to be crazy about apples

I LOVE scuppernongs Aprophet
big_smile.png

I dont actually know what the one I yanked out of the ground today is, havent been in this house long enough for them to fruit yet. After I get a couple of more plastic storage boxes I will dig a few more up for the big cage. Its so hot now that the more shade they have the better and living shade is always cooler than a sheet over the corner. And it looks better too!

To the OP, how about some grape vines in with your quail? Grape vines ALWAYS look super good and will give you fruit too.

Or red currants or black currants or raspberries or thornless blackberries or gooseberries?

All of them look good and your quail should like any of hte fruit you dont eat yourself.

Back
Top Bottom