1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Natural Incabation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vortec, Feb 5, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I've finally made up my mind that I am going to go with an Australorp roo, along with a couple hens as my breeders and try to hatch australorp chicks in the future. I've read that an Australorp will sit on the eggs and hatch them. How reliable or dependable is this? I have also read that some breeds have been bread to lay not set so much. Is the Australorp dependable enough to let sit on the eggs until they hatch? It's listed in the Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens( which I just got today and plan to read in detail tonight ) that they will set, but it dosen't go much into detail on the specific breed. Any help on this will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

vortec

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ive never had Australorps, but my Meyer Hatchery Catalog says that they are very broody. Im sure someone else on here can be of much more help than I can.

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Australorps are fine brooders. Not only will they hatch eggs they will sit on others eggs as well. They go broody quite easlily. I hear Australorp roos are pretty docile. Australorps are quite like Buff Orpingtons, they are good brooders and mothers. I can't really say enough good things about the breed.

4. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:I have heard the same things and that is what led me to choose this breed. Thats good to know about them sitting on other eggs too. Everything i learn about these birds makes me more convinced that this is the breed I want to hatch. Thanks for the help, it is always appreciated.

vortec

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by