Natural instincts

SuziiK

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2017
South Africa
Hi I have 4 backyard chickens now 4 months old. Incubator chicks. Seems to have no natural instincts like staying out of the sun in 40 degrees and out of torrential rain. What to do? Been trying to teach them to go inside from the rain, no such luck, they are extremely intelligent but seems to lack natural instincts due to being raised by a human mom.

Hi I have 4 backyard chickens now 4 months old. Incubator chicks. Seems to have no natural instincts like staying out of the sun in 40 degrees and out of torrential rain. What to do? Been trying to teach them to go inside from the rain, no such luck, they are extremely intelligent but seems to lack natural instincts due to being raised by a human mom.
As long as they CAN get in out of the rain, leave them alone. When it's rainy, that's when there are more ground insects available. Are you talking about 40* C or 40* F? Big difference. But, again, as long as they can get out of an uncomfortable situation, let them decide what is uncomfortable. If you're talking 40*C, what is the temp of their coop? Or their shady spot? You can cool things down by hosing down the grass in a shady area for them. If it's 40* F, that's a heat wave where I come from this time of year.

As long as they CAN get in out of the rain, leave them alone.  When it's rainy, that's when there are more ground insects available.  Are you talking about 40* C or 40* F?  Big difference. But, again, as long as they can get out of an uncomfortable situation, let them decide what is uncomfortable.  If you're talking 40*C, what is the temp of their coop?  Or their shady spot?  You can cool things down by hosing down the grass in a shady area for them.  If it's 40* F, that's a heat wave where I come from this time of year.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. We are talking about degrees Celsius, sorry for that. Summer here in South Africa at the moment hovering at 40 Celsius this time of year. They do have good cool shade, but will sit staring at the sun as though mesmerised. But I'm much less worried now if you think they will use the cover if need be. Thanks again!

One thing you can do to help them if they are warm is mix up some electrolyte solution. Very easy/inexpensive with key ingredients being sugar, baking soda, salt, and either Jello or Kool aid. (don't know if you have that there. Any powdered flavoring will do as long as it does not have any artificial sweetener. Or you can just use juice. I'd offer both the electrolyte and plain water on hot days. Do a google search for home made electrolyte solution or home made Gator ade. You can go without the flavoring, but if you do add it, you can enjoy the mix yourself!

welcome-byc.gif

What breed are they? I'm wondering if they're meat birds?

Welcome! That's pretty warm, so make sure your water is in the shade, and cooled off with ice or fresh water during the day. Frozen fruit is good too, like watermelon or cantaloupe or something similar. If shade is available and they aren't panting and confused, they are fine. Mary

Welcome!  That's pretty warm, so make sure your water is in the shade, and cooled off with ice or fresh water during the day.  Frozen fruit is good too, like watermelon or cantaloupe or something similar.  If shade is available and they aren't panting and confused, they are fine.  Mary

Hi Mary thanks so much you guys have made me feel much less worried now plus given me some good tips on what to add in the heat. I have never had incubator chicks before only local breeds raised by hens and they were very 'streetwise' in our heat. Could not resist the gorgeous Orps though, such beautiful fat traditional hens and could only get them from incubators. I must say that it is a shame to raise them so unnaturally and I don't think I will ever again buy chicks not raised by hens. Thanks again, keep well!

Back
Top Bottom