Natural leaves and twigs that are safe

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Dill, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Does anyone know what leaves and twigs from outdoors is safe for button quail? Are maple leaves?

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Most leaves are safe for birds.
    Cherry and Grape vines are banned and banished from my yard because Cherry is toxic to rabbits and Grape vine is deadly to goats.

Birds do not normally eat leaves and buttons and most quail and pheasant use them as shelter and nesting hides.
    when the Maple trees start to bud in spring I go out and clip back some of the smaller trees and bring in the branches with buds attached to the rabbits, it boosts their ability to shake off winter blahs. plus its a tiny bit of a sweet treat.
    I would imagine bringing in branches with buds will have the buttons picking them off and enjoying a treat.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I give mine maple and pine branches. I think it is funny to watch them when you change things around. They are nosie little things. They run around exploring there new world LOL

4. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I would prob'ly stay away from the walnut family, too... Walnut, butternut, etc. They produce a chemical (juglone) that inhibits the growth of other plants. I have no idea if it does anything to birds, but I wouldn't take the chance.

And, speaking of maple buds in the spring, I found out last spring that basswood leaves are edible when they are newly flushed, and still small and tender. They taste a bit lemony.

5. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    If it's toxic for other birds, it's toxic for buttons. I use fake plants in my cages so I can throw it all in the dishwasher and sanitize it.
    -Spooky

6. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Nemo, is that a Serama or another young chicken?
    -Spooky

7. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    alrighty, so maple leaves and twigs/sticks are a definite yes?

I know that maple woods are ok for birds but i don't know about the leaves and bark

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Yes, maple is fine.

Spooky: No, it's a Sicilian Buttercup. Better picture HERE ...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  9. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    cool, i'm going to give my buttons some today then [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by