1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Natural lifespan of chickens and ducks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crittergarden, Mar 23, 2012.

1. crittergarden

crittergarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I know they stop laying after 2-3 years. I won't be eating my pets, so how long should I expect them to live? I live in the city so I will have to limit my flock to 5, so I need to know if I'll go through eggless periods.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

they can lay almost their whole life just fewer and fewer-

They -can- live 10 years, I have one that's still laying 7 years old. Between 5-8 years is not unusual for life-span, depending on breed (production breed dying earlier, Heritage breed living the longest).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Ducks can live anywhere between 5-12 years depending on which breeds you have. The bigger duck breeds die younger than the smaller ducks generally, except in the cases of Muscovies which live on average 8-12 years. They are some of the largest ducks, but they are also some of the most long-lived.

Chickens can live to be well into their teens.

Remember that all these ages do not take predation into consideration. It is far more likely that your flock will die from predation much sooner than the end of their natural lives.

Good luck.

4. crittergarden

crittergarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for answering!

5. chickenflock1

chickenflock1 New Egg

May 28, 2014
    You poo head! You said my chicken would die! And its only 32!

6. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Ducks can live very long, and chickens can live well into their teens

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I hope you are being funny. I find it highly unlikely that any outdoor bird would live to be 32. If so, GREAT! Congratulations on doing the nearly impossible, which is to keep a prey animal alive for well past its natural lifespan. I think the "poo head" comment was unnecessary, though. Seriously. Are we children here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by