1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Natural light in the brooder..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sdaikus, Mar 23, 2016.

1. sdaikus

sdaikus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    The chicks are in the basement in a brooder my husband built. It's quite large so for now they are sectioned off so they stay warm. The problem is the basement has no windows where they are and they aren't getting any natural light! Is this a problem? If so how do I fix it without having to take apart the brooder he built and relocating it.

They seem fine. Today, I noticed they are sleeping more than normal, but they also seem less stressed and used to their new home so I think it's just them settling in.

Thanks for any help!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Do you have a heat lamp? As long as they have some light they will be fine. I doubt really leaving them in the dark would bother them much, but they would probably sleep more then normal.

3. sdaikus

Mar 20, 2016
    @OrganicFarmWife yes, I have a red heat lamp in there. Should I add a white one for day time?

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    If you want to but it realy isnt nessisary. They do not need extra light, right now they just need to be warm and well fed.
    Only asking because i just lost half mine to it. What kind of waterer do you have?

5. sdaikus

Mar 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

@OrganicFarmWife this is them when they first got home not in the brooder, but the water dispenser is in the corner of the picture. I put acv in their water to help decrease germs.
    Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by