Natural medicines/cures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ADuckOnQuack, Oct 8, 2016.

1. ADuckOnQuack

ADuckOnQuack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    England
    Is there such thing as natural medicines for chickens and ducks? What is it and what does it cure? Do you just add it to water or the feed? Thanks

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
  3. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    That takes me back to the home page?[​IMG]

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The best natural medicine, is clean water, reputable food source, clean and dry coop and plenty of space. Give your chickens that, and they won't need any medicine. I have never given a chicken any medicine.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  5. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Thanks both

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree. I have never given medicine to a chicken, or treated "naturally" for anything. A have had a couple of chickens with ascites, but no other problems that I know of. Could be because we process them at 2-3 years of age so they don't have a chance to get sick.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some farms are finding that adding oregano to the feed reduces need for antibiotics.

Turmeric reduces inflammation and is safe for ducks.

Comfrey is as useful in helping treat leg injuries for my ducks as it is for me.

There is, in fact, a textbook of Veterinary Herbal Medicine, and there are holistic vets who do a fine job.

Apple cider vinegar is used to help a number of things.

Good food and water, safe environment are extremely important, and when things go awry, sometimes herbal or old-fashioned treatments are the best thing.

Food grade activated charcoal is a big help if a duck has ingested something toxic. It is also used in hospitals to treat overdose patients.

8. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Thanks Amiga

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by