Natural Organic Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Santa Walt, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Santa Walt

Santa Walt In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    I came across this recipe for an organic feed for chickens. I don't recall where I found it, but here it is. It may have even been posted somewhere on BYC.

My recipe for 50 pounds of feed is:

5 # each millet, whole wheat, corn, oats. buckwheat and peanut pieces
    12 # sunflower seed kernels (dehulled)
    3 # brewers yeast
    2 # dried kelp
    2 # wheat bran
    1 # Diatomaceous Earth
    They get oyster shell free-feed in a separate container

In the winter, I will add 2# raw liver, dried, which usually ends up weighing 4-5 oz. The liver is ground and dehydrated in a dehydrator, not in cut up into pieces

Would like to get some comments from anyone that knows something about such things. It seems like something that would be good and healthy.

2. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Uggg. I am tired tonight..
    The recipe is for 25lbs not 50
    It looks OK at best to me.
    I think 4% DE is way to high, no macro feed value just some micro's, and maybe a worm preventative maybe not..
    8% kelp sounds a little high
    No legumes
    No oats
    That is alot of sunflower and dehulled is really expensive, and the hull of black oil sunflower is good for chickens.
    Too much DE, it is questionable if it even does any good in a feed. (I do feed some but very small amounts.)
    No minerals
    No alfalfa
    I personally would like to see that wheat as a bigger portion.

Sorry,

ON

3. Santa Walt

Jul 8, 2010
    Yep. I can tell you are tired. Notice that the first line has millet, whole wheat, corn, oats. buckwheat and peanut pieces. At 5# each, that is 35 lbs. That is also where the missing oats are. Thanks for the input, however. Get some sleep/rest and reevaluate. I value the input. I am also wondering, how in the world does one mix that much stuff together without using a horse trough?

4. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    [​IMG]
    Sorry......
    Yep I should have waited till morning. That is as clear as day now.

Know the proportions look much better.[​IMG]

Be sure to run the protein numbers, to see what percent the mix is at. I am guessing it is very good at some where around 18%..

If you can get those things give it a try.! If liver is the meat you have access too then use it. Other wise use what ever is most cost effective. (I use fish or Venison, because that is what I have.)

Keep in mind even if you use certified organic ingredients, you can not use mammal liver and stay certifiably organic...
    (Me I don't care, I use venison anyway. For me using local excess venison is more environmentally sound than buying fish meal.)

As far as mixing, break it down in 1/2 or 1/4 parts. I mix in a wheel barrel. When grinding grains I like to grind them fresh, and make small batches. (One advantage of making your own.)

Again, sorry for last nights post. ( I REALLY am not a night person!)

ON

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

5. Santa Walt

Jul 8, 2010
    Thanks. I was tired also. So much so that I flunked 3-4th grade math. 5 x 6 is not 35.[​IMG]

6. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the good laugh...

Yep my second grader does not even need to use his fingers to add... (Unlike me..[​IMG])
    ON

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by