Natural pesiticide for ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by uber mom, Aug 2, 2013.

1. uber mom

uber mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    My daughter's have taken up chickens and I found some natural pesticides using herbs for the chicken's i.e. spraying Neems oil in the coops to rid of mites etc. - I have taken up the waddlers...am wondering if there are natural deterents to protect the ducks from bugs too. Also, live in Minnesota and am wanting to prepare for winter am wondering about enclosures - what type of bedding to use, how often to clean out cage and how to keep ducks mite free etc. - Would love your in put.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you give your ducks plenty of swim time they pretty much keep themselves free of parasites. I've had ducks over 9 years now and they have never had mites, even though they share a house with my chickens and only a wall and door on the inside with chicken wire in it and the chickens had a mite out break last year. Ducks none. I spray the roosts and crevices of my chicken coop with neem oil 1X a month use Poultry protector on the ducks side and my other duck house and goose house only to keep down reg bugs like flies and spiders though. In the winter they all have pine shaving to sleep and snuggle down into for warmth, I use deep bedding so I go inside everyday and clean out poop laying on top and fluff bedding. Ducks are hardy and have a good layer of down under their feathers to keep them warm. they just need protection from severe weather.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. uber mom

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks for you in put ... it is nice meeting someone who has experience.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Glad to have been helpful now we need to see pics of your flock, and hear all about them. [​IMG]

5. uber mom

Aug 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here they are, Kai and Leilani - they are 3.5 mo. old - they are a joy to have around. The chickens aren't so sure of them but our hunting dogs think they're just another dog (kind of). Do you have some great pictures of your flock?!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is adorable and a basket full. If you click on my name it will take you to my profile you can do this with anyone else also, I have lots of pics there to share. with 16 ducks it would take me along time to posts them here for you to see. Thanks for sharing and stick around always lots to learn and to share. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by