Natural quail feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bcparkins, Apr 9, 2017.

1. bcparkins

bcparkins New Egg

Apr 9, 2017
    Hi there. I'm interested in making my own quail feed. I was just wondering what I should feed them. I've started feeding them sprouted grains and they seem to like those but I would like to make sure they're getting enough protein and calcium to produce lots of strong eggs.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Welcome!!

It can be done, how much time you got? Study natural feeds that quail eat, gather some, grow some, grind some, mix some, etc, etc--keep in mind they don't eat one or two things in the wild----they forage for many different items.

I wanted to grow all my chicken feeds---shoot at times I have had over 1000 chickens. I grew a few acres of corn, had to hill, till, plant, keep weeds down then it was ready to harvest, now I had to harvest, shuck, shell, grind and mix in protein supplement, that I might could have grown some of that, but it takes so much more time, I grew worms, crickets(chickens love them), soldier fly larva, etc, etc---Man I am tired---LOL. I wised up-------I let the Feed manufactures grow and make the feed---they have put a lot of work into making us a good feed and have access to so many things we have a hard time getting, plus they buy so much of it they get it so much cheaper that we could. Its cheaper for me to go buy corn---in bulk- than I could raise it for--on a few/small acres scale.

I got smart and I let my chickens(quail for you) buy my feed. I think of ways to buy Good feed in bulk, buy my corn in bulk---save a few dollars-----example---buying in bulk I can go buy my shelled corn for $4.85 for 50lbs instead of $8 at TSC, I can buy good bagged feed and get a discount per bag by buying 20 or more bags Plus the chickens pay for it and I do not have to spend my days collecting and growing it, and hoeing it, gathering it, etc, etc!! I just go feed them then come sit in the recliner and type these post---LOL.

Quail have been selling for a decent price at the Auction lately---just like chicks----I can go buy a good, already made bag of feed for each 5 chicks sold this past Saturday at the auction----only had to incubate them and take them to the sale. Let your birds work for you---so you can rest---just my Opinion.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    There are videos on you tube about making your own quail feed most use fish food to get the high protein needed ! X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by