Natural rabbit nest/burrow??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken farmer, Aug 25, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Have you ever had a doe you let on the dirt in a a pen of some sort and let them dig a shallow burrow and kindle in? I think it's a awesome idea and I love letting livestock live and do as naturally as possible,I've seen some videos on Youtube but have you guys ever had a doe do this? If so please post any pictures or tell us about it[​IMG]

2. CityFarmer202

CityFarmer202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Missouri
    I have a 30x20ft run for my rabbits to hang out in during the day, but i have them kindle in the cages. The big run was dug out about 3ft into the ground and we laid wire down cause they would always dig out and run off. I definitely try to let them live as natural as possible, but they sure are escape artists :) lol. Good luck!

3. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Thanks for letting your rabbits live natural and getting out of the cage I have a new zealand white doe right now in my empty chicken pen and earlier she was digging and moving dirt with her mouth so she might be digging a burrow

4. CityFarmer202

Jun 10, 2014
    Missouri
    cool! if she dosnt dig to far, it may work. My nz's never were quite as intense at digging as some of the other breeds like my harlequins. While we were building the pen, it made me sad to see them in such small cages 24/7. You never want to put them back in cages once you get to see them hopping and running freely on the grass. Good luck with your doe!

5. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Oh I know you can't stand to put them back in a hutch,I had my new zealand white buck in my chicken pen for about a month and a half and it was hard to put him back(to breed) but when I can I'm gonna put him back out on the dirt

6. CityFarmer202

Jun 10, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah....well, he will be very happy to be back on dirt when you do :)

7. chicken farmer

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Oh yea I know it

8. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    we had a pet minilop called Tiara who lived in a hutch outdoors for a while until I saw these rabbit harnesses for sale. My parents thought it might be a bit "cruel" to have a rabbit on a leash. But, as we found out, she LOVED it. We ran a long cable going from her hutch along some trees, maybe about 20m long. We attached the harness to it, and she was sooo happy. When we were eating outside, we would see her go sprinting past, then stop, turn around, and start again. It was hilarious. Anyways, she would dig short burrows and sleep in them. Our cat never bothered her (even though he caught wild rabbits). One day when our cat brought home a live baby rabbit, we took it to see Tiara and she was just like a mum to it. Of course I know it wasn't a good idea to put wild rabbits and pet rabbits together, but it was a little baby and she loved it. She would put him inside one of her little burrows and they would sleep there :3 We eventually found out where his REAL burrow was, with the rest of the family, and put him back.
    All this to say that it would be an awesome idea to try having your doe kindle in a natural burrow. You could also dig a shallow ditch, place PVC pipes and cover them with dirt to make a sort of artificial burrow. Block the end so it resembles one, put a little dirt inside and viola!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by