Natural remedies for respriatory illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sami, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi
    One of my hens seems to be sneezing a bit and sometimes coughs.
    Is there a natural remedy that I could use?

2. StandardLover

StandardLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:I will be watching your post, mine have the same thing. Someone suggested Tylan, it's powder that you can mix in their water. (Though I don't think its natural.) Sorry, I am not sure of anything natural to use. Good luck.[​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Not against respiratory diseases.

4. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    01/08/2010 1:36 pm
    houndit
    No Hybrids!
    PM
    View My BYC Page
    A natural cure recommended to me by Kelly Klober
    I got to visit with the poultry expert Kelly Klober. He told me that this is something he likes to use. He said it will clear up Coccidiosis and heal most cases of respiratory illness provided the birds are not Chronically ill. I have not yet experimented with it but I wanted to share it.

He said take a Gallon of raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar.
    Add several Garlic cloves and drop in a couple of very hot red peppers. Let it sit for about a day or two.
    Give the birds about 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, for Coccidiosis, and a little more than that for respiratory illness.
    Just thought I would pass it along.
    I had to sell all my birds, so I do not visit the forum frequently. Please email if you want to contact me. Please choose Life! Proud conservative tea party member!
    ....the right of the people to keep and to bear Arms shall not be infringed. The second amendment. Thou shalt Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul and with all thy strength.

I copied this from another post hope it helps

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sometimes chickens get sick and then get better all on their own, sometimes chickens get sick and people feed them herbal formulations and they get better. This does not provide any proof that it works, nor any that it does not. Some products/suppliments may well have a profilactic effect just as would any good balanced diet. Apple cider vinigar for example likely helps by controling crud and bacterial levels in the waterers as well as acidify the digestive system sligtly. Which should help the birds fight off yeast type infections and thereby give a helping hand through healthy digestion in fighting off things like cocci or worms. Still apple cider vinigar is in its self not a cure for either.

There are antibiotics that have been proven effective on many respritory infections, feeding them is a personal choice. I have not needed too in a long time knock on wood and like to keep it that way, but if need be I would rather treat agressivly at the first signs of real trouble to minnimize the spread.

One very first natural step if there are any signs of respritory troubles is make certain the coop is clean, dry and well vented, high amonia levels can cause respritory symptoms and certainly stress the birds leaving the birds leaving them open to infections.

6. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks everyone.
    My coup is well ventaliated and clean but unfortunately I bought three hens and didn't notice at the time that one of them made a rattle sound when it breathed. It went down hill quite fast and sounded like it was drowning, it wouldn't leave the coup, stretched is neck and opened its mouth trying to breath. I culled her which was my first experience doing that but I couldn't handle her suffering and didn't want it to spread. The other hen that i bought with her has sneezed a few time and that is why I was asking if there was a preventive that I could use now.
    thanks

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely the other 2 hens have contracted the respiratory disease from the one you culled. Chronic respiratory diseases (CRD) arnt fun to deal with and your birds will remain carriers even if treated with antibiotics. You would have to keep your flock closed. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Scroll down and take a look at infectious coryza and mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) There seems to be alot of those 2 diseases going around throughout flocks.

8. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks. Another hen has no feathers on her bottom which is red and pasty around her vent.... fun time at my coup:(
    Do you know how I can clear this up. On the weekend I was going to
    soak her bottom, trim her feathers, apply some perioxicde and then use
    polysporin.... Do you think that would help? I've never had a problem except for these last three ladies
    What a pain...

9. Mountain Life

Mountain Life Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    How long do you do this treatment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by