Natural Remedies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CockerelDundee, Sep 4, 2014.

1. CockerelDundee

CockerelDundee Out Of The Brooder

As anyone got any ideas for natural remedies to treat a hen with a sneeze/hiccup/cough, she is separated from the rest of the flock.
    She is eating, drinking and pooping as normal, i have given her apple cider vinegar and garlic in her water.
    Cheers
    Willy

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    If a vet is not an option, you might try Olive Leaf Extract. It helped one of our hens that had pneumonia. Antibiotics didn't work so we figured it might be a fungal infection. She was quarantined for a couple of months, until the sneezing completely stopped. We used a dropper and forced a half dropper or so down her throat morning and night until she recovered (poor thing - the stuff is nasty).

We also put a small amount in the drinking water on occasion if we think the girls are starting to act a little off.

Hope your little one gets well soon.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Honey or sugar water as well as apple cider works well to boost the energy of a bird, but it won't put an end to an illness. I would recommend taking your hen to a veterinarian who will (hopefully) diagnose your bird with something and you could ask for natural remedies to cure it. Hope your hen gets well soon.

4. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Just saw a post over on water/feed board that someone has had success with oregano and cinnamon. I agree, a vet would be the safest route, but if not an option. Check out the thread on natural antibiotics.

5. CockerelDundee

CockerelDundee Out Of The Brooder

Cheers for the repplies and ideas so far
    Willy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by