Natural Timbers?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WyncoteChicken, Jun 2, 2011.

1. WyncoteChicken

WyncoteChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Victorian Wyncote
    Hello, BYC!

We are building our first coop and we love the natural timbers such as the ones used on the run of this coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=38676

I've
    seen similar things on other coops and was wondering if anyone could tell me if that's something we can buy, and if so, where we could buy them from?

2. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm not sure about this but it looks like untreated lumber. If that is what it is, then you can buy it at Lowe's, Home Depot or any lumber supply store.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Up here we cut and peel our own . The big issue is they rot off at ground level in a few years. Maybe if you had all weather wood 6x6's laid on the ground and stood the posts on them maybe they would last but your big issue is rot

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I got something very similar from a local feed/hardware store. 8' Cedar Posts. Cost $2.99 ea. I used them as posts for my new run... If you find cedar posts and there is still some bark on them, remove any bark on the area that will be in the ground.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Those look like cedar fenceposts like for farm (livestock) fencing, the 4"-at-the-top size. Those are pretty rot-resistant, although because cedar is rather soft you have to be thoughtful in how you bolt them together if you're using them for horizontal members too, as the linked example does.

Smaller diameter cedar posts are not particularly rot resistant though (better than same-diameter poplar or willow [​IMG] but still will "go" in just a few years in many soils/climates)... don't get sucked into using those, they're only suited for being line posts for electric fencing.

Up here (an area rich in cedar trees [​IMG]) 4" 8-footers are maybe $8-9 at the feedstore.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by