Natural treatments for ADD/ADHD?????

Hoosiermomma

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
S.E Ind
Anyone who has any kids who have been diagnosed with this, use anything other than prescription meds? I have 3 out of 5 kids so far who have been diagnosed and want to try something other than the standard meds. By the time we get all their meds we are looking at 0ver $100 monthly and that is with insurance.
hmm.png
I myself could use something as well (I guess I know where they got it from lol) as my ADD gets worse by the year.
big_smile.png
Just wondering what everyone uses if anything.

My daughter is.
I home school, this means she is not board waiting for the teacher to get things going or for others to finish. At public school waiting takes up much more time then the school work does.
She also had a pony when she was young to take for walks. A dog we went to a park with daily and as she got old goats to teach to lead. She had a few hours a day where she was moving, not forced to sit. She then got into track and ran almost daily. Now she rides.
Good luck

Our health food store caries several different "natural" remedies. The one I used in the past the most often was flax seed oil. It's nasty stuff to take by itself, so you have to mix it in with something like yogurt. We thought the vanilla yogurt tasted the best! The pill are HUGE and no child would ever be able to get them down. You can also cook things like muffins, pancakes, etc... and add flax seed to them.

Go to your local health food store and talk to them about your options.
wink.png

I don't have first hand experience, but a friend of mine swears by what the child eats. Try cutting out all processed foods, especially those with dyes and preservatives. Her daughter did a complete 180 when she tried it.

Yes I think alot of it relates to the food. My good friend took hers off processed food and he was so much better. Hotdogs seemed especially bad when he ate them.

Good luck and good thoughts coming to ya!!

Oh yes! Foods high in red dye (all dyes have some effect, but the red ones the worst) and sugar don't help with my sons behavior at all. I forgot to mention that too! We usually try to avoid food high in preservatives as well, as that seems to make a difference. We eat fresh and homemade. I don't buy the boxed up garbage.
wink.png

journey's end :

I don't have first hand experience, but a friend of mine swears by what the child eats. Try cutting out all processed foods, especially those with dyes and preservatives. Her daughter did a complete 180 when she tried it.

I did not even think of that....forgot....my daughter was often offered water not juice. Now she often orders water in the resturant or unsweet tea.
Very little juice or other sweet drinks, very little pop, just not in the house.....big difference!​

i am a teacher and the guidance counselor at my school, who has 2 adhd children, tells parents to give their children green tea in the morning before school because the caffeine helps. stimulants in an adhd brain actually help kids calm down (hence the use of ritalin and other meds). she also suggests a little bit of dark chocolate or even a small bit of coke (but use these two carefully since they also contain sugar).

I have a son who is ADHD when he was younger , school age , we took him off all foods with red coloring and all store bought bread and I made all bread and buns myself. We never had to put him on medication .

Mary

Back
Top Bottom