1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Natural vs. Chemical Chicken Treatments?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmvisualart, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mmvisualart

mmvisualart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Charlotte Region, NC
    I have used plain yogurt for bacteria.

Apple cider vinegar, garlic, pumpkin, and

Diatomaceous earth for worms.

DM is also good for external parasites.

But sometimes I give up and use Ivermectin, Tetracycline and Cocci-Stat.
    Now knowing when a bird is beyond my natural approach, I sometimes pull out the heavy artillery.

I know that a natural flock is a stronger flock, but sometimes losses get out of hand.

Opinions?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I use the same things your do. I agree that medications are needed for the bigger problems, but I try to be as natural as possible.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE is useless against worms. Alot of chemicals are derived from plants etc..are much cheaper and come with directions for use. I've always used ACV, and used buttermilk quite often. Cayenne pepper liberally sprinkled in the feed will kickstart birds into laying eggs. Sevin dust lightly sprinkled inside the coop and in nests will stop lice/mites from bothering your birds, unless your birds have them...then you have dust your birds. DE doesnt work fast enough to treat lice/mites...takes too much time.
    I like to hit problems hard and fast with whatever means necessary. It doesnt take too much time for something to easily spread through a flock. It's best to treat aggressively.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. mmvisualart

Mar 2, 2012
    Charlotte Region, NC
    thanx!

5. mmvisualart

Mar 2, 2012
    Charlotte Region, NC
    thanx!

6. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I love using garlic, pumpkin, and acv. I also love Manna Pro's Poultry Protector spray for mites and lice that is all natural. It has worked like a dream after trying various chemical sprays. But I agree that for bigger things like worms sometimes chemicals are needed. Although if you are looking for wormer I have heard good things about Molly's herbal wormer although I have never used it, it is natural.

7. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    What dosage of acv do ya'll use? I know i read it somewhere a few times but can't find it again.

8. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I do 4 Tablespoons per Gallon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by