Natural weed inhibitor?

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
I read somewhere that using corn gluten helps inhibit the growth of weeds when applied in the fall. What form of it does one need, and is it tilled into the earth, or broadcast, or what?

I haven't used it before, but it works like most pre-emergents. It's a granular meal that you spread with a drop spreader. It creates a barrier at the top of the soil that kills weed seeds (or any seeds for that matter) when they germinate.

I haven't seen any for sale in my area and in the ads I see online they want anywhere from $30-$50 for a fifty pound bag that does 2500 sq ft.

I've been using Amaze at $10 per 2000 sq ft to control sandburrs. It's not organic, but it works...

Corn Gluten Meal is an excellent preemgergent. A university discovered the abilities it has as a preemergent and patented the rights to it. If you buy cgm that is packaged as feed, IT IS THE EXACT SAME THING AT 1/3 THE PRICE.

really... I have weeds in my drive it want to get rid of. So you say just sprinkle corn gluten meal over the weeds in the fall? I hope the chix wouldn't eat it! Is there a difference between corn meal and corn gluten meal? I also heard it was good to till into the garden for pest and fungus control. Please tell more...
big_smile.png

Vinegar is more for spraying on weeds in sidewalks and such. Gotta be in the sunshine to work best. Natural form of weed-b-gone. Have used it successfully for years. Just gotta reapply, since it isn't as poisonous as the chem alternative.

Back
Top Bottom