Natural wormer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by certifiedchef, Jan 8, 2011.

1. certifiedchef

certifiedchef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Carmichael
    Has anyone used or is familiar with this product? WormGuard Plus Broad Spectrum. Supposed to be a safe natural worming choice.
    thanks

2. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I don't know but I am also very interested in a natural wormer.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Pumpkin seeds are supposed to act as a natural wormer, but I'm not certain what the process is.

4. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i put braggs apple cider vin. in their water every few days... and have heard about pumpkin seeds too but am not sure as to what kind. i have given them dried ones from the bulk section at the health food store and also gave them both our pumpkins from halloween to pick at. i have not heard of that product. but we have been good so far, hope it stays that way! i think my roosters may have been wormed before i got them with whatever non natural wormer - but i cant control everything! [​IMG] i am trying to avoid giving my birds any weird chemical stuff unless it is a must... i will be interested to hear what everyone else has to say on the subject of this product and any other natural wormer. [​IMG]

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    This time of year I give them pumpkin seeds, but in the fall they get a whole pumpkin that has holes cot in it for them. They all get some because eventually those holes start to expand. [​IMG]

6. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    have never heard of or used the wormer you mentioned....for the most part i use DE ...can be found at farm store anywheres from $12 - $15 for 40 - 50 pound bags..depending on which farm store i buy from....pumpkin seeds...dry - roast & crush into feed...apple vinegar in water dish..also have heard oregano ..the homestead chick feed uses it as natural wormer or so the farmstore owner told me so.. not positive but i think there are 2 different treatments for round worms and tapeworms.

7. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    i forgot to mention...when you use any chemicals on animals your not suspose to butcher within so many days..i would think would be true with any eggs to be eatten.....what goes into the animal comes out also in the product of it........again not sure if this is accurate info but had always thought if given wormers to animals..will kill off any living worms..then you have to redo again in XXX amt of days cuz eggs hatch....but in mean time they can pick up worms and it starts all over again....when you use things like DE it is safe to use everyday..it continues to kill off worms and eggs everyday....i just mix some (( directions on bag)) in feed & stir it in good....plus you can use it as a dust on bodies to kill any bugs-fleas-lice..in nest boxs ect.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    soap&eggs :

have never heard of or used the wormer you mentioned....for the most part i use DE ...can be found at farm store anywheres from $12 - $15 for 40 - 50 pound bags..depending on which farm store i buy from....pumpkin seeds...dry - roast & crush into feed...apple vinegar in water dish..also have heard oregano ..the homestead chick feed uses it as natural wormer or so the farmstore owner told me so.. not positive but i think there are 2 different treatments for round worms and tapeworms.

University of Delaware did a study on DE and found it ineffective as a wormer. The researchers theorized that when the DE was in the digestive tract it was wet and that prevented the De from cutting the worms up. The abrasive cutting action is thought to be the reason it works on mites and external environment pest. In slugs we are sure that it is the cutting action that destroys the slug.
    I'll get the name of the head of the study head and post it on this thread.​

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    What little I know, and in use, YES; it is the cutting action that makes it effective. It is used as an anti-caking agent as well.

10. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:there are no natural wormers on the market

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by