1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Natural Wormers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AmynChad, Mar 25, 2009.

1. AmynChad

AmynChad Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Menlo, GA
    I'm sure there has been a thread about this before, but I would love to see everyone's thoughts and recommendations for a natural dewormer. From my search results, I have found Pumpkin seeds, DE, and carrots in a juicer form. I have not seen any evidence of worms in my chickens poo, but I would like them to be just a bit bulkier, so I suspicion a mild infestation. If they don't have worms, I'd like to do something preventative anyway.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Raw pumkin seeds work the best, from what I have researched. They need to be chopped, so you can put them through a food processor just to open them a bit, or just roughly hand chop.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    As Wynette said, but also add them to some buttermilk. [​IMG]

It's also good to add some ACV with the mother in it (I use Bragg's) to the water as a preventative. Use 1 tsp. to 1 gallon of water.

4. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I hear coffee grounds that have been run thru a coffeee maker (used) I dont know cause I dont hav ethe wormy issue!!!

5. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

Do the pumpkin seeds need to have the shells removed or can they be left on?? [​IMG]

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Left on, it's actually the shells that have the wormer in them.

7. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

Ok Thanks!! I wasn't looking forward to shelling all the pumpkin seeds I just bought!! [​IMG] Can I mix some cayanne pepper in with the seeds? Will that also help with any possible worms? I haven't seen any but one of my hens comb is looking a little paler than normal and she seems kind of lite

8. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

What is ACV?

9. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    apple cider vinegar - use the kind with the mother in it - can find in co-ops or health food stores.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i've been using pumpkin and winter squash seeds cracked in my blender..and so far..[​IMG] no worms....thanks gumpsgirl for the idea of buttermilk with them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by