Naturally Hatched Ducklings!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luluch10, May 14, 2011.

1. luluch10

luluch10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Silk Hope, NC
    Wanted to share our happy news one of our Ancona ducks who sat on a nest of 18 eggs about a month ago hatched out 17 ducklings two days ago, very exciting. We also have another duck that went broody and we are anxiously awaiting her babies too. Our duck took her babies out on the pond yesterday they were so cute swimming behind her! We had hatched out some in the incubator but it is so much more exciting when it happens naturally.
    [​IMG]
    If you want to see more pictures check out Old Holtwood Farm facebook page.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What a gorgeous duck family. Anconas are gorgeous, If they werent so rare here in Australia I would add some to my flock. Looks like you live in a great place to keep ducks- They must all be very happy.

3. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    My goodness that's a lot of babies!! Love the photo.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Congratulations!

Do they have a warm area to sleep at night? You might want to keep an eye on them for things like being overtired or cold because sometimes mom has trouble covering all of them when they need to be kept warm, especially as they grow. And, some mothers don't rest their babies enough.

5. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    So fun! Good luck with the other mommy and her eggs. Your Anconas are very pretty.

Last edited: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by