Naturally hatching chicks

maman poullette

Hatching
Aug 7, 2016
Hello. I am new to chickens but we have a lot of them - I have 20 adults who are having eggs. I would like them to be able to hatch chicks but my husband thinks they are not broody- I think they are & have seen them sitting on eggs but then it seems that they just leave the eggs alone.after a while. Am I wrong or too impatient? Because I see a bunch of eggs in a clutch in the barn on the floor & they are laying them in boxes also-Americauna, buff Orpington, sex link, they are fertilized because we have roosters. It seems that they lay & sit & then don't sit on them again. Can someone advise me please? Thanks

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! From what you have described I would say your hens are not broody I'm afraid. If they were they would be sat on the eggs constantly only leaving the clutch of eggs for a few minutes at a time once or twice a day to eat, drink and poop.

Here are some great threads & articles on broody hens that I'm sure you will find most helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Broody+hens#

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC! I agree-- it sounds like your hens aren't broody right now. Thanks for joining us and I wish you the best of luck for future hatches!
smile.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom