Nature is beautiful...and cruel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LT, Nov 2, 2011.

1. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We lost our Agnes today. We suspect a hawk, because we had seen one in the area recently being harassed by a bunch of crows. My husband just found feathers and searched everywhere for her. I knew it was a risk to let them free range, but honestly, I can't imaging keeping them cooped up all the time. They are birds and birds need room to spread their wings. I saved one of the feathers, and we plan to blow out her last egg and keep the shell. We toasted her at dinner tonight. She will be remembered fondly.

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    So sorry for your loss. I'm so glad that you provided Agnes with a good vibrant life rather than a colorless "safe" existence. Hugs to you. [​IMG]

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:same

4. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    So sorry, I kept mine locked up today because there was a huge hawk hanging around this morning. Starting to like crows because they were giving the hawk hell! I would have never seen it if it hadn;t been for the crows. The girls were so mad I wouldn't let them out!

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Yeah, that's the way nature is [​IMG]

Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. Invertalon

Invertalon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    We have been battling a hawk recently as well. Thankfully, we have a net over the entire "range area" for the chickens for this very reason. One morning my mom found all the hens hiding under the crates and other "toys" they jump and hide under in the play area. Found feathers on the ground and branches on the ground from the tree that goes right over the coop. A minute later my mom heard the hawk making noise and saw it on the fence nearby.

A few days later she was looking out the back window and the hawk divebombed the netting. Of course, it did not go much anywhere and got caught up a little. Once it worked itself loose it flew away. All the hens ran for cover.

Now anytime a bird makes a loud screech they all run for cover in the coop or under the crates. Thankfully we have them safe from flying predators. Now to watch for the neighborhood cats and such... But we also have quite a bit of fine-mesh fencing to prevent them from getting in. So far so good *knock on wood*. They are grateful!

Sorry for your loss, it's always hard to lose a hen [​IMG]

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    So very sorry for your loss. I have a hawk that has taken up our area for its 'territory' and has me scared to let my chickens out to roam. It has even come and sat right on top of their (covered) pens.

9. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Thanks everyone. We do have a covered run, so at least they were able to run there for cover. My husband noticed them all in there this afternoon after he let them out. He went out because he thought it was strange, and then counted and that's when he realized she was missing. I am thankful we have the covered run, because I may keep them in for a few days.

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Sorry for the loss, but your family's attitude is perfect for keeping and raising chickens fwiw.....

Trust me though there are way more good days then bad days ahead for you and your future flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by