Nature v/s nurture........Nature won at my house today.

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by mama2many, Aug 21, 2010.

1. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    [​IMG] Well, it is official my guineas do know that they are guineas. I raised to guineas to adult hood with chickens, one male and one female. They have always slept with the chickens, eaten with the chickens- so on and so forth. I even had my chicken roo mating my guinea hen! Yikes! So, about 10 weeks ago I purchased guinea keets from a friend. I had chics from MPC at the same time. When it was time to move the chics to the grow out coop I had one chick, Dallas, who was too little to go. She stayed behind and finished feathering with the buckwheat babies. So now- everyone is in the same coop and guess what????? The guineas are together and the chickens are together. Dallas has been adopted by the pullets that came in the same box with her from MPC, and the keets have fallen in with Mama and Papa Guinea. I found it interesting that the Guineas didn't know they were guineas untill they were given babies to raise. They treat those keets just like their own. Protecting them and herding them around, and sweet Dallas, while still just as wild as the guineas is chilling with her own peeps. No more buckwheat babies for her! I love nature!!!!! [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thats so cool

My guineas are like that,
    each new hatch that comes up are doted on by the older flock,i have Keats hatching all the time, what i do not sell by 1 week old i keep and they become part of the older flock .

I love guinea TV [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    Quote:Wow! Love the picture.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    zazouse: HOW MANY GUINEAS DO YOU HAVE???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I lost count but close to 200 i am sure.

i sold 80 keets last weekend [​IMG] got 84 more in the bator and then i am done for the year.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:OMG - That's a ton of guineas! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you breed and sale them, or did you start out with 10 and now you have 10,000? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by