nature's treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by panner123, Jan 20, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    While spliting wood today some of the rounds had beetles and ants in them. One hen saw them and that was all it took. The whole flock was on the wood pile and the spliter noise didn't slow them down. At times I was throwing chickens out of the way just to get to the wood. You would think they hadn't eaten in weeks.

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

i was raking up the barnyard today and the chickens raaaaaaaaaaaaaaan over to the tops and stood on the piles thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............there might be soemthing in here besides dirt and poop and hey even if there's not let's DIG INSPECT AND PARTY.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG]
    That's funny, we can't hardly split wood around here either,lol. The second they hear, it's a mad dash!!
    My birds love the wood beetle larve& some of them get pretty long.They won't eat the beetles unless we squish their heads. [​IMG]

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    A lesson to all of us - get excited about the little, unexpected things in life--like bugs under a pile of wood, lol!!!! Happy chickens and funny post!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I had been worried about lawn mowing when the chickens were out, thinking it would scare them. But I had to eventually do it, since their chance to free range was when I was home which coincided with my chance to mow. Mowing along, I looked behind me to see that I was being followed. Unconcerned about the noise, my feathered friends were right on my heels, seeing what the lawn mower had stirred up. It would have made a funny picture - felt like the pied piper (with a happy ending).
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by